Early Childhood Education
Associate of Applied Science
Curriculum Code - 5159
An Early Childhood Education graduate could expect to find career opportunities in the following environments: Pre-Kindergarten Program, Head Start, Parent Cooperative, Public or Private Nursery School, Exceptional Child Programs, In-Home Child Care Aide, and Service Agencies/Referral Program. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College's University Partnership.
||Introduction to Early Childhood Education***
||Child Guidance and Classroom Management *
||Health, Safety and Nutrition
||College Composition I
||Introduction to Psychology
||College 101 ^
||Emerging Literacy & Language Development >
||Introduction to Child Development >
||Introduction to The Education Profession
||College Composition II >
||Mathematics for Elementary Teachers
||Cognitive Development >
||Family, Schools and Communities
||Student Teaching Seminar I >
||Individuals with Exceptionalities
|Arts and Humanities Elective ***
||Creative Development for the Young Child
||Student Teaching Seminar II >
||Principles of Teaching and Learning
Total Credit Hours:62
1. > Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
2. * Indicates that this course has a prerequisite or may be taken concurrently.
3. *** Arts and Humanities: Choose from any Arts and Humanities course from the State Transfer Module.
4. Before taking EDCT 111 or any course requiring EDCT 111 as a prerequisite, a high school diploma or GED is required.
5. Compass, current physical and background check required.
6. A grade of "B" or better is required in ECED Student Teaching Seminar I and II.
7. Requirement for ODOE Pre-Kindergarten Associate Certificate includes completion of all required ECED, EDCT, ENGL and CMMC courses with at least a "C" in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 in these courses.
8. Upon the completion of all LCCC AAS Degree requirements for graduation and the satisfactory completion of all ECED Pre-K Associate Certificate Program requirements, the Division of SS/HS Coordinator of ECED may recommend to the ODOE, Division of Teacher Education & Certification for the Pre-Kindergarten Associate Certificate.
9. ^ A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
Established September 1990
Revised January 2014
Effective August 2014