Early Childhood Education
Associate of Applied Science
Curriculum Code - 5159
An Early Childhood Education graduate could expect to find career opportunities in the following environments: Pre-Kindergarten Program, Head Start, Parent Cooperative, Public or Private Nursery School, Exceptional Child Programs, In-Home Child Care Aide, and Service Agencies/Referral Program. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College's University Partnership.
Teaching Career Guide
||Family, Communities and Schools *
||Introduction to Early Childhood Education***
||College Composition I
||Introduction to Psychology
||College 101 ^
|Science Elective **
||Emerging Literacy & Language Development >
||Child Guidance and Classroom Management >
||Introduction to Child Development >
||Creative Development for the Young Child
||College Composition II >
||Cognitive Development >
||Student Teaching Seminar I >
||Individuals with Exceptionalities
||Introduction to Sociology
|Arts and Humanities Elective ***
||Infant and Toddler Development >
||Student Teaching Seminar II >
||Health, Safety and Nutrition >
|Technical Elective(s) ****
Total Credit Hours:60/62
1. > Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
2. * Indicates that this course has a prerequisite or may be taken concurrently.
3. ** Science Elective: Choose any Science course from the State Transfer Module.
4. *** Arts and Humanities: Choose from any Arts and Humanities course from the State Transfer Module.
5. **** Technical Elective BADM 261, CISS 121, ECED 166, ECED 275, EDCT 264, HLED 153, SOCY 255, SOCY 276.
6. Before taking EDCT 111 or any course requiring EDCT 111 as a prerequisite, a high school diploma or GED is required.
7. Compass, current physical and background check required.
8. A grade of "B" or better is required in ECED Student Teaching Seminar I and II.
9. Requirement for ODOE Pre-Kindergarten Associate Certificate includes completion of all required ECED, EDCT, ENGL and COMM courses with at least a "C" in each course and an overall GPA of 2.5 in these courses.
10. Upon the completion of all LCCC AAS Degree requirements for graduation and the satisfactory completion of all ECED Pre-K Associate Certificate Program requirements, the Division of SS/HS Coordinator of ECED may recommend to the ODOE, Division of Teacher Education & Certification for the Pre-Kindergarten Associate Certificate.
11. ^ A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
Established September 1990
Revised February 2013
Effective August 2013