Emergency Medical Services
Associate of Applied Science - Curriculum Code 2117
The Paramedic has an advanced level of knowledge and skills in the field of emergency medicine. The Paramedic performs advanced life support measures including cardiac monitoring, defibrillation, endotracheal intubation, starting IVs and administering medications. The EMSP program is accredited by the Ohio Division of Emergency Medical Services (OH319). Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College's University Partnership.
|Fall Semester (First Year) |
||Anatomy and Physiology I
||College Composition I
||Technical Mathematics I >
||Introduction to Psychology
||College 101 ^
|Spring Semester (First Year) |
||Anatomy and Physiology II >
||Introduction to Advanced Emergency Care >**
|Fall Semester (Second Year) |
||Advanced Emergency Care II >**
||Advanced Emergency Care III >**
||Human Growth and Development >
|Spring Semester (Second Year) |
||Advanced Emergency Care IV >**
||Advanced Emergency Care V >
||Legal Concepts for Emergency Services >
||Introduction to Sociology
Total Credit Hours: 68
1. American Heart Association Healthcare Provider certification is required upon entrance into the program.
2. > Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
3. ** Indicates that a grade of "C" (2.0) or better must be earned in order to continue in the sequence.
4. Students who are only interested in being eligible for the Paramedic National Registry, must take BIOG 115 or BIOG 121 and 122 and EMSP 120, 121, 122, 123, and 124. A certificate of completion from the division will be awarded to these students.
5. Must be currently certified as an EMT-B in the State of Ohio
6. Students who begin the EMSP course in August (enroll in EMSP 120 in the fall semester), will take EMSP 121 and EMSP 122 in the spring semester and EMSP 123 & EMSP 124 in the 10 week summer semester. Those who begin EMSP courses in January, will take EMSP 121 during the 10 week summer semester, EMSP 122 during the 1st 5 weeks of the fall semester and EMSP 123 during the last 10 weeks of the fall semester. EMSP 124 will be taken in the fall semester.
7. ^ A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 more credit hours.
Established November 2012
Effective August 2013