Associate of Applied Science-Curriculum Code 5701
The Human Services degree prepares students for entry level social service positions. Within the curriculum, students may select a human services generalist major or a major in gerontology assisting. The Associate of Applied Science degree in human services prepares students for employment as case managers, child care workers, program aides, mental health technicians, job coaches, outreach workers and social service aides. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College's University Partnership.
|Fall Semester (First Year) |
||College Composition I
||Principles of Interviewing and Counseling
||Introduction to Psychology
||College 101 ^
||Introduction to Sociology
||Introduction to Social Welfare and Social Work
|Spring Semester (First Year) |
||College Composition II >
||American National Government
||Family > OR
||Social Problems >
|Fall Semester (Second Year) |
|Case Management >
||Group Work in Human Services >
||Poverty and Social Welfare >
|Cultural Diversity Elective**
|Spring Semester (Second Year) |
||Crisis Intervention in Human Services >
||Human Services Practicum and Seminar >
||Human Behavior/Social Environment >
|Total Credit Hours: 65/66 |
1. > Indicates that this course has a prerequisite.
2. OR Indicates that a student may select either course, which may have an effect on the total credit hours.
3. * Technical Electives: HMSR 121, 131, 141, 161, 221, 222; CRMJ 226; SOCY 265.
4. ** Cultural Diversity Electives: HSTR 267; SOCY 161, 276.
5. GED or high school diploma required for program admission. Basic math skills required as documented by placement assessment or successful completion of MTHM 021.
6. ^ A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
Established September 1996
Revised April 2012
Effective August 2012