Dual Enrollment Handbook

Dear Prospective Dual Enrollment Student:

Lorain County Community College offers a unique opportunity for you to enrich and further your educational and career objectives while still a high school student. We hope that this booklet will be helpful in answering questions you may have about the Dual Enrollment programs at Lorain County Community College including Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) Option B and Credit in Escrow and the College Opportunity Partnership Program (COPP).

What is the Postsecondary Enrollment Options Program?
The Postsecondary Enrollment Options program (PSEO) was established by the Ohio Legislature in 1989 to permit high school students from public or private high schools (chartered or non-chartered) in grades nine through twelve to earn college credit while in high school through the successful completion of college courses.

Credit In Escrow students earn college credit which is held in escrow for them. The student must pay tuition and fees as established by the college and must pay for textbooks and materials. Students can have this credit count back for high school credit as well if they choose.

PSEO Option B students earn high school graduation credit and college credit concurrently by taking college classes. Students electing this option will have their tuition, books, materials or fees associated with such courses paid.  This option is only available during the school year and is available for any LCCC classes taken on the Elyria campus, through distance learning, or at any of the LCCC learning centers.

What is the College Opportunity Partnership Program?
Some local high schools also offer LCCC courses right on their high school campuses.  Students register for these particular classes as part of the College Opportunity Partnership Program (COPP).  High school students are considered LCCC students and earn both high school and college credit for these courses taught at the high school.

Where will I find information on applying for these programs?
Applications for the PSEO programs (Option B and Credit in Escrow) and for the College Opportunity Partnership Program may be obtained from your high school guidance counselor or Lorain County Community College.  For more detailed application information, visit: www.lorainccc.edu/dualenrollment.  

What are the characteristics needed to be a successful college student?
A successful college student (PSEO or COPP) is disciplined, self-directed, academically able and socially mature.

What's the difference between high school and college?
First and foremost, the level of course difficulty is very different between college and high school. You may not spend as much time in the college classroom as you do in high school, but you will find the work to be more demanding, with more homework, reading and independent work. College requires self-discipline and self-motivation. For every hour that you spend in the classroom, you should expect to spend two hours on outside work.

Where are the courses held?
Lorain County Community College (LCCC) courses are held on the LCCC campus and can also be taken at any of LCCC’s learning center in Lorain, Wellington, Brunswick and North Ridgeville and at participating high schools.  Additionally, some courses can also be taken through distance learning (the internet).

Is there a difference between the courses held on the LCCC campus and LCCC courses taught at the high school?
There are differences in the location and the calendar they follow as well as in how the programs are funded. LCCC courses taught at the high school follow the high school calendar. LCCC courses taught at the LCCC campus follow the semester calendar.  (See below for funding information differences.) The course itself is the same and follows the same course outcomes as the LCCC campus course and meeting the same syllabus requirements.  The textbooks are also the same.

Are the courses taken at LCCC transferable?
LCCC is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Completed course work taken is fully transferable to other Ohio state assisted colleges and universities and most out of state and private schools. The applicability of completed course work taken to a particular major, however, will be determined by the school to which you transfer.

What courses should I take?
You should plan your course work carefully with your high school counselor. If you are a freshman or sophomore, you should pursue coursework that will enrich your educational experience and/or satisfy a special interest you have. This is especially so since as a freshman, you are limited to one course per semester.  As a sophomore, you may be allowed to take more than one class per semester if approved by an LCCC counselor.  As a junior or senior, the first priority in selecting courses is completion of your high school graduation requirements. After that, courses should be chosen that will further your educational and career objectives.  It is not unusual for high school students to change or be unsettled in their educational or career objectives. Because of this there is wisdom in taking a wide variety of classes that will meet the general education requirements at most colleges or universities.

In some instances we have students who are only taking electives at the college and who will take all of their courses in one area. Examples are art, music, dance or business. The potential problem could be that if you take all electives in one area and choose a different major later, little or none of the elective courses may apply toward your graduation requirements. Broadly speaking, however, no education is wasted and choosing such electives may help you to decide the field you want to pursue.

LCCC also offers a wide variety of occupational courses for those students interested in vocational programs.

Are there limitations on the courses that I can take at the college?
Yes, there are some courses that require high school graduation before you can be enrolled. You must also meet the placement criteria and/or prerequisites for the course you wish to take. There has to be space available at the time you register. Students who procrastinate may find they are closed out of the classes they want. Finally, Freshman PSEO students are limited to one LCCC course per semester.   Sophomores may be allowed to take more than one class per semester if the LCCC counselor approves the selection.  For COPP courses at the high school site, the high school determines which grade level students must be before enrolling in particular courses.

If a course is not in the State Transfer Module, does that mean it will not transfer?
No, even courses outside the State Transfer Module will transfer as long as the receiving institution has a similar course. Furthermore if a course falls outside the State Transfer Module, it means that the course is specific to a particular area rather than the general education category. Examples of this would be accounting, communications, foreign languages, etc.

Can I take remedial or developmental courses under PSEO Option B?
No. Students may take college level courses that confer credit towards college graduation.

What is the relationship between the high school Carnegie unit and a college credit hour?*

One high school Carnegie unit is equivalent to 5 semester hours in college. This means that if there are seven periods in your high school day (excluding the standard lunch period) and you take all of your classes at the college, you would be eligible to take 35 semester hours for the year (7 x 5). If you were taking 3 Carnegie units at your high school, this would make you eligible to take 20 semester hours for the year (4 x 5).

It also means that in order to complete a Carnegie unit of a subject for high school, you may have to take two classes to complete the 5 credit hours needed. For example, to receive credit for a Carnegie unit of American History, you would need to take HSTR 161 and HSTR 162 at LCCC which are 3 semester hours each.

*High School Carnegie Units are not a factor when scheduling COPP classes offered at the high school site.

Will the courses taken at/through LCCC be included in my high school grade point average?
Your school or school board will determine whether, and the manner in which, grades will be included in their students' grade point averages. The grade earned for the college course should be the grade reported on your high school and college transcripts.

What are the limitations on the number of college courses that can be paid for at LCCC as a PSEO B student?*
No student may earn more than the total number of Carnegie units that might be earned using every period available during the school day (excluding the standard lunch period) in a given year. Students may participate for a maximum of four years if they begin as a freshman.

*High School Carnegie Units are not a factor when scheduling COPP classes offered at the high school site.

Can I take night classes?
Yes. PSEO B and CIE students may take day, evening or weekend classes.

Can I take summer classes under PSEO Option B?
No. The program is limited to the academic year August through May. Students eligible for this program can, however, earn college credits in the summer through the Credit-In-Escrow program at their own expense. Applications are available through your high school counselor.

Will LCCC send final grades from courses taken to the high schools at the end of each term for PSEO Option B students?

Will the college send progress and attendance reports to the high school on a periodic basis for PSEO Option B students?

Does LCCC have a uniform attendance policy?
No. Each instructor establishes the policy for their course. It is important for the students to be aware of the policy for each course they are taking. Course attendance policies are outlined on the course syllabus distributed at the first class meeting.

What resources are available to me if I am having difficulty with a class?
First, talk with your instructor. Your instructor may be able to offer the insight or help you need to be successful. All LCCC students are eligible for free tutoring no matter where they are taking their courses. Take advantage of the free tutoring that is offered in the Academic Support Center located on the second floor of the College Center Building. Talk with your LCCC counselor or advisor. He or she will be able to help you explore all the different options and alternatives available to you.

What are the consequences of withdrawing from a college course?
Withdrawing from any college course after the course has begun may affect completion of graduation requirements and should be discussed with your high school counselor and parents or guardian. A high school official must sign the PSEO Option B Withdrawal Notification form indicating their awareness of the student’s intent to withdraw before the College will process a withdrawal from a college site course. The cost paid for you by the state for Option B classes can also be recovered by the school or school board from you, your parents or your guardian depending on your school or school board policy and practice. The amount of financial liability is determined by the date you withdraw from the class. The refund schedule is published in the schedule of classes for each semester and in the college catalog.

If I fail a class at taken through the college what are the consequences of the failure?
Failure of a course could prevent your graduation. Your high school will provide you with counsel on this matter. The failure also becomes a permanent part of your college record.

If I fail a class at the college, who pays for the class?
Students who fail a class taken as PSEO Option B may be required by their high school to pay for the failed class.  You should contact your high school counselor about your district’s policy.

Can I repeat a failed class under these programs?

May a high school student participate in any college activities? 
Students participating in dual enrollment programs continue to be high school students. While some college activities may directly relate to specific courses taken by these students (e.g. art, music, drama activities) students should seek guidance from their high school counselors and/or LCCC as to the appropriateness of participation in most college activities and clubs.

If I take part or all of my courses at LCCC, am I eligible to participate in high school extracurricular activities?
Yes. Students participating in the program remain high school students. They are entitled to participate in appropriate school district activities so long as they meet the criteria established by district policy or administrative procedures.

Where can I find more information about the college?
The most important source of information will be the college catalog available online at:


In addition to general information about the college, the catalog also contains the academic calendar that lists important dates and deadlines, such as when you may register for classes, when classes begin, withdrawal dates and when the campus is closed for holidays. Staff from Enrollment Services can also provide you with additional information about LCCC.



Register Now for Spring

Be a success! Register now for Spring Semester 2015. Classes begin January 20. Click here for registration information.

Extended Hours for Spring Registration

Enrollment, Financial and Career Services is now open 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday for Spring registration.

Earn College Credit For Work and Life Experience

Attend an information session for Prior Learning Assessment and find out about the methods used to help you earn college credit for what you have learned through work and life experiences.
Click here to learn more and register.


Students can save up to 80 percent on the cost of a traditional college degree. Learn more at www.lorainccc.edu/myuniversity.

MyTuition Guarantee

LCCC students now have the opportunity to participate in the MyTuition Guarantee. This new program holds tuition and fee rates for students registering in fall 2014 and spring 2015 for up to three years or until the completion of a degree, whichever comes first.
Click here to learn more and to complete the Completion Pledge.