Academic Support Center
Please call the Academic Support Center at (440) 366-4057 for more information or specific details about when tutoring is available for a specific subject. Not all subjects are tutored all open hours.
Current ID Required
The Math Studio
Math tutoring is now held in the Math Studio and is available free of charge. The new facility includes open areas, semi-open group study rooms and private group study rooms.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 9 am to 8 pm
Friday: 9 am to 4 pm
Saturday: 10 am to 2 pm
Beginning Monday, February 16, all students must present a valid (updated) LCCC ID to sign in for services.
College Center Room 204
Appointment and walk-in times vary. Please call to verify tutoring times.
Online Tutoring (eTutoring)
9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Click here to learn more.
|Online Resources |
eTutoring is offered as an extension to the face-to-face tutoring offered through the Tutoring Center. Lorain County Community College has joined eTutoring.org to provide free, professional online tutoring in areas of Writing, Math up to Calculus II (including Statistics), Accounting, Biology, and Chemistry.
Math Tutorials from the Division of Academic Foundations
The Web's most comprehensive and accurate MLA, APA, and Chicago/Turabian bibliography composer with fully-integrated note-taking.
The Khan Academy
A not-for-profit organization with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education to anyone anywhere.
The Academic Support Center (Tutoring Center) provides free personalized academic support services to all currently enrolled students. Students not only can improve their learning, but also can build a greater ease and confidence in the academic environment by using the Academic Support Center.
The Academic Support Center, which is located in College Center, room 204, offers two major services: tutoring and resources. Tutoring may take place in small study groups or workshops, walk-in tutoring or by appointment. Resources are also available for specific courses with study guides, sample papers, worksheets, biology models and textbooks.
To make an appointment for tutoring services, call the Academic Support Center toll-free at 1-800-995-5222, ext. 4057 or 440-366-4057.
Academic Support Center Policies and Guidelines
Scheduling Tutoring Appointments
- When scheduling your appointments in person, you will need to show your student I.D. with a current semester sticker or your current class schedule. When scheduling an appointment over the phone, please be sure to give us your correct student number.
- Walk–in for Math and Science Tutoring (Biology and Chemistry)
Students are able to access up to 2 hours (or more if needed) of Math and Science walk-ins. You will need to sign in (with your student number) and out on the tutor’s log each time that you meet with a tutor.
- Walk-in and appointment for Writing
Writing walk-ins are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Every 15 minutes, the tutor will see the next person waiting. You should have your question(s) ready for the tutor. For example, “Could you explain a thesis statement; I don’t understand what it is?” or “Could you explain how to use commas?” The tutor will not proofread or edit your paper.
Academic Support Center Tutoring Policies
- The goal of tutoring is to make you an independent student by assisting you in the learning process.
- Be sure to bring your textbook, syllabus, assignments, and a graded sample of your work, if possible. Write down any questions you have.
- A student may receive up to two hours of tutoring appointments per week. Your appointment may be shared with another student.
- A student may attend walk-in sessions up to 2 hours per day.
- Students may not skip classes or labs for tutoring.
- Tutors will not do students’ assignments, nor proofread papers.
- Tutors do not have access to quiz or test questions.
- Tutors will not take on the role of an instructor.
- Policies may change without notice. Please notify the Academic Support Center for most current policies.
- Check with the receptionist to verify that your course is covered in walk-ins.
Academic Support Center “No-Show” Policies
As a courtesy to other students and your tutor, cancel at least 2 hours prior to your appointment or you will receive a “no-show”.
After two “no shows”, you will be required to speak to the Coordinator who will assess your tutoring needs which may result in the loss of your tutoring assistance.
“No-show” policies will be enforced each semester.
Please come in or call to cancel your appointment at 1-800-995-5222, ext. 4057 or 440-366-4057.
Receive the Most Out of Your Tutoring Sessions
- Come Prepared
- Try to complete as much work as possible before your session
- Have questions written out for the tutor
- The tutor cannot do your homework with you or for you
- Respect Others and the Learning Environment
- Start and end your tutoring session on time
- Speak at a volume that does not detract from other students’ learning
- Turn off your cell phones, do not talk on cell phones, or if absolutely necessary, take the cell phone call in the hall
- Follow Tutoring Center Policies and Procedures
- Cancel at least 2 hours in advance (or you will receive a no-show)
- With two no-shows, you may lose your tutoring assistance
For additional information about the Academic Support Center services, please contact Indira Marrero, Interim Coordinator, Academic Support Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension 7298.
Academic Support Center Staff
Interim Coordinator of the Academic Support Center (Tutoring Center)
Indira Marrero CC 204 Ext. 7298
Staff Assistant of the Academic Support Center (Tutoring Center)
Cori Torres CC 204 Ext. 7299