HESI Exam for Nursing Students
Student success and achievement of academic objectives are very important to us at Lorain County Community College. In an effort to assist you in achieving your educational and career goals in relation to the Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) program and the Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) program, we have implemented a computerized readiness assessment exam, HESI- (A2). The purpose of the exam will be to guide you in determining areas of strength as well as weaknesses. This will afford you the opportunity to take steps to minimize identified weaknesses and build a strong foundation for the future. The specific areas that you will be assessed on include:
- Math- this is a 50 item exam. The primary focus is on math skills required for health care fields. It includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, and household measures (metric).
- Reading Comprehension- this is a 47 item exam. You will be asked to read health care scenarios in order to determine reading comprehension. Within this context you will identify the main theme (idea), determine meaning of words, and make logical inferences.
- Anatomy and Physiology (A&P) - a 25-item exam. This exam covers general terminology, anatomical structures, and systems.
- Critical Thinking- this 25 item exam is intended to give you a “snapshot” of your critical thinking ability. You will be given healthcare related scenarios to read with your score being reflective of your problem solving skills, argument analysis, ethical dilemma resolution and analysis of subjective /objective data.
- Learning/Personality Style(s): 29 test items. Assesses preferred learning style and will provide a printout with study tips based on learning style and personality profile.
Registered Nursing/ Associate Degree Nursing Students
The cost of the exam is $50 and will be administered in the testing assessment center (TAC); located in the college center (CC) 233. If paying by cash or check you will need to visit financial services (located on the first floor of the Bass Library), pay for the exam and obtain a receipt. You will need to present this receipt at the testing and assessment center prior to taking the exam. If paying by credit card you will be prompted when registering for the exam that affords you that option. It is estimated that the exam will take three (3) to four (4) hours to complete so plan accordingly.
After the completion of the exam, students will be able to retrieve their results via their HESI account within 24-48 hours. Students will receive study tips based on their learning style and personality profile as well as given a breakdown of their strengths and weaknesses in each of the areas tested. A composite score of 75 is required.
Students will receive personalized electronic remediation once the testing session is completed. After remediation, students can retest (additional $50 charge) to improve their composite score. A composite score below 75 on the retest will disqualify the student from applying to the Associate Degree Nursing program. Scores will be valid for a three year period; therefore a three year wait is required prior to a third attempt of the test.
Students may purchase the HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review, 3rd edition, in the bookstore to prepare for the HESI Assessment Exam.
Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Students
A composite minimum score of 70 is required before applying to the Licensed Practical Nursing program.
Students are responsible for bringing a copy of their HESI results to an advisor to submit a program application.