Medical Assisting - Clinical Focus
Associate of Applied Science - Curriculum Code 2142
The Medical Assisting Program provides its students with an orientation to the medical field as an assistant to the physician. Students are introduced to procedures in medical examination, use of laboratory equipment, office business procedures used in health care facilities. Upon completion of the first two semesters of the accredited program, students are eligible to take the certification examination of the American Association of Medical Assistants. Those wishing to continue their education may complete all courses for the Associate of Applied Science degree. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College's University Partnership.
Career information for this program
For more information about this degree, please contact Ana Parrilla at 440-366-4189 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Fall Semester (First Year) |
||Body Structure and Function **
||Fundamental Procedures in the Medical Office >**#
||Insurance & Coding in the Medical Office >** #
||Basic Administrative Medical Assisting Function >**#
||Bookkeeping Functions in the Medical Office >**#
||College 101 ^
|Spring Semester (First Year) |
||Microcomputer Applications I
||College Composition I
||Diagnostic Testing in the Medical Office >**#
||Specimen Collection in the Medical Office >**#
||Patient Care in the Medical Office >**#
||Medical Assisting Externship >#
||Introduction to Psychology
|Fall Semester (Second Year) |
||Pharmacology for Allied Health and Nursing >
||General Pathology >
||Introduction to Business Administration
||Introduction to Clinical Laboratory Science Technology >**
||Basic Laboratory Techniques >**
|Spring Semester (Second Year) |
||Principles of Management
||Basic Human Nutrition
||Oral Communication OR
||College Composition II >
||Phlebotomy Clinical Practicum >**
|Total Credit Hours: 62 |
1. High School Graduation required for entry into program. Basic Math skills required as evidenced by placement assessment.
2. > Indicates that this course requires a prerequisite.
3. ** Indicates that a grade of "C" (2.00) or better must be earned in order to continue in the sequence.
4. * A one year technical certificate will be earned after successfully completing Fall and Spring semesters of the first year and will be eligible to take the American Associate of Medical Assistants Certifications Exam.
5. ^ A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of thirteen or more credit hours.
6. # Credit will be awarded following divisional approval for the MDAS courses identified above to those individuals who have completed a medical assisting program, hold CMA certification through the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), and are presently working in an area of medical assisting practice.
Established September 1977
Revised July 2014
Effective August 2014