Library Services for Distance Learners
Distance Learning Library Services are your immediate access to library resources. The goal of these services is to ensure complete and adequate access to information and research material without having to come to campus.
Distance Learning Library Services are available to students who are taking classes at LCCC Learning Centers (St. Joseph Community Center, Wellington Center, Midpoint Campus Center, or Lorain County Growth Partnership) or to students taking Internet courses.
Distance Learning Library Services are available to faculty who teach an electronic or off-campus course.
LCCC Library/ID card
All LCCC students and faculty must have a current LCCC Library/ID card to request library materials, access the OhioLINK Research databases, and to use the Wellington, St. Joe's, Midpoint Campus Center, and Growth Partnership Learning Center Computer labs.
If you are attending one of the four LCCC distance learning centers please make arrangements to have your photo taken with the designated LCCC Learning Center Staff. Your LCCC Library/ID card will be mailed to your residence. You must provide a current schedule and proof of identification when requesting your initial LCCC Library/ID card. Every semester that you are a student at LCCC you will need to update your card. Please contact the LCCC Circulation desk at 440-366-4026 or email email@example.com.
Note: If you are a distance learning student and not attending classes on the main campus or at one of the Learning Centers please contact:
- Susan Paul, Access Services/Reference Librarian by email or phone (440-366-7422) or the
- LCCC Library Circulation Desk by email or phone (440-366-7336)
The LCCC Library/ID will be mailed to your residence.
Services for Students | Services for Faculty
Services for LCCC Students
- Research assistance for coursework via e-mail or telephone.
- Prompt delivery of books (mailed to your residence with return instructions, packaging, and pre-paid postage) and articles (electronic delivery).
- Reference assistance via e-mail or chat.
- Remote access to library research databases for doing your own research at home.
- Remote access to full-text electronic books and digital media.
Library Resources available remotely
- The LCCC Library Catalog indicates what materials are held by the library and where they are located. If you wish to request a book or media from the LCCC Library please complete the Distance Learners Book Request form. The item will be delivered to your residence with return instructions, packaging, and pre-paid postage.
- The OhioLINK Central catalog is available when an item is not available at LCCC. Remember to select Lorain County Community College from the pull-down menu. The requested item(s) will arrive at LCCC Library in 3 to 5 working days. The item(s) will then be delivered to your residence with return instructions, packaging, and pre-paid postage. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate that you have requested an OhioLINK item and wish it to be sent to your residence.
- The LCCC Library provides a diverse collection of e-books from netLibrary, Bible in English, Electronic Reference books, Gale Virtual Reference Libary, Oxford Reference Collection, and Safari Tech Books. Electronic books are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
- Over 100 electronic OhioLINK Research Databases may be accessed. The databases covers many academic areas at varying levels of detail. OhioLINK has provided a subject list of these databases. Before you are allowed access to the research databases, you must have a current LCCC Library/ID card. To access a research database from off-campus you will be prompted to select Lorain County Community College on the OhioLINK Institution selection form then you will enter your last name, first name and the 14 digit barcode number that appears above the barcode on your LCCC Library/ID card. If you are experiencing difficulties please contact the Reference Desk at 440-366-4106, the Circulation Desk at 440-366-4026, or consult the online guide, "How Do I....Connect from Off Campus."
- You may request articles that are not available full-text from the OhioLINK Research Databases by completing the Inter-Library Loan Request for an Article form.
- Digital Media Center provides access to a variety of multi-media material.
Obtaining Library research assistance without coming to campus
- Reference librarians are available to assist you with finding information.
- During library hours, use the toll free telephone number for assistance, 800-995-5222 Ext. 4106 or 440-366-4106.
- To received live help use KnowItNow. This chat reference service is available 24X7.
- Ask Ref: E-mail a Librarian is available if you wish to email a LCCC Reference Librarian for assistance. Questions are answered within 48 hours.
- Obtain consultation for your in-depth research needs by contacting the LCCC Reference Desk by phone or e-mail.
Services for Faculty
The LCCC Reference librarians can assist faculty by presenting library instruction at remote sites to individual classes regarding
- Basic library research methodology
- Subject specific library resources
- Remote access to library materials, including electronic books, articles from research databases, and reserve materials
More information about distance learning courses offered at LCCC please visit the LCCC Distance Learnng web site.