New Coaches Help LCCC Athletic Programs Enrich Student-Athlete Experience
Four newcomers have joined the coaching ranks at Lorain County Community College, bringing a variety of experience and enthusiasm that will enrich the student-athlete experience.
“We are very excited about our new coaches who will complement the veteran coaches we already have on our staff,” said Laurie Carlberg, dean of LCCC’s Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Student Life division.
“The college has made major additions to its sports programs by hiring some very talented coaches,” said Tom Szabo, men’s golf coach and intercollegiate compliance officer.
LCCC has eight sports available for its students to participate in. Four – men’s soccer and baseball and women’s soccer and basketball – are club sports. Four – women’s volleyball and fastpitch softball and men’s basketball and golf – are intercollegiate sports.
Club teams compete against other two- and four-year club teams and some intercollegiate junior varsity teams. The intercollegiate teams compete against other two- and four-year teams at the intercollegiate level. Athletes on these teams must meet eligibility requirements of the National Junior College Athletic Association.
Club sports were re-introduced to LCCC in 1999 in response to the community’s request for athletics for LCCC students. This need had been identified by the College’s Vision 21 process. Athletics had previously been a part of the rich student body experience at LCCC but were cut due to budget constraints in the 1980s.
The move to elevate some of the athletic programs to the intercollegiate level is welcomed by Szabo and the coaches.
“We’re happy to be again taking the lead of providing a choice of athletics to serve our ever-growing student body. And that includes those graduating high school seniors and other prospective student-athletes considering where to continue their education,” Szabo said.
Carlberg concurred. “We are very pleased about the renewed interested in the sports programs – especially women’s sports – and are looking forward to a continual growth in all the sports programs at LCCC,” she said.
The new coaches join a group of dedicated coaches who are responsible for growing the LCCC sports programs. “The sports programs at LCCC would not be where it is now without our current coaches,” Carlberg said.
That includes Kathy Majoras, Carlberg noted, who has been the coordinator of club sports for the past eight years. “Kathy was an LCCC athlete and continues to dedicate her time and energy to support the athletes,” Carlberg said.
The new coaches are:
Jennifer Lee (Elyria) – Women's Volleyball Coach
- 2007 Columbia High School head coach women's volleyball
- Played at Cleveland State on full scholarship on women's Division I basketball team
- Played on Midview High School women's volleyball and basketball teams
- State All Star Volleyball
- Miss Volleyball Lorain County -Conference MVP
- All-State Basketball Team
- Set 11 school records
- Former player for Miller Light Beach Volleyball Team
- Currently competes on the Women's Tri-Fitness Competition
Colin Irish (Lagrange) – Women’s Basketball
- Former NBA Player for Washington Bullets: four-time All Star, two-time team most valuable player.
- Played in European League: fourth British Player to surpass 6000 points.
- Member of Top Ten list of British Players for points, rebounds, steals and assists.
- Represented England and Great Britain on National Basketball Team
- Currently Director/CEO Northeast Ohio to The Hoops organization and Funschools.
- Intervention Specialist for Lorain County Academy
- Two-time Ohio Basketball Player of the Year
- Former Bowling Green State University standout
Joseph Lyons (Sheffield Village) – Women’s Soccer Coach
- Former head coach LCCC men’s and women’s soccer teams
- Former player LCCC men’s soccer team
- Member of Lorain County High School All-Star Team
- Member of Second Team All Conference and Second Team All County
David Leigh (Avon) – Men’s Soccer Coach
- Currently Elyria Catholic High School women’s soccer coach
- Former Avon High head coach men’s soccer
- Head AFC U13, U14 and U17 Girls State League Teams, assistant coach Avon U9-14
- Boys AASL Travel team
- Currently Vice President Lorain County Senior All-Star Boys & Girls Games
The returning current coaches are:
Tom Szabo (Grafton) – Men’s Golf Coach and Intercollegiate Compliance Officer returning for year six.
Dave Moore (Amherst) – Women’s Fast Pitch Softball returning for year five.
Bill Frawley (Wellington) – Men’s Baseball returning for year four.
Ralph Berrios (Lorain) – Men’s Basketball returning for year eight.
For more information about intercollegiate sports at LCCC call Szabo at (440) 366-7346 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about club sports at LCCC call Kathy Majoras at (440 366-7360 or email her at email@example.com. Or call Laurie Carlberg at (440) 366-7359 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.