Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the state of Ohio has adopted new eligibility standards for College Credit Plus. With the absence of available testing, all CCP students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are now considered eligible for College Credit Plus. LCCC is adopting these same standards, meaning that all prospective CCP students applying for summer and/or fall semester at Lorain County Community College will be admitted with a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
If a CCP student previously applied for summer/fall, but did not have qualifying test scores, LCCC is now able to admit that student with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Alternatively, LCCC can also continue to admit CCP students using the statewide remediation free standards (for students with under a 3.0 GPA).
LCCC’s placement assessment has two components:
- Accuplacer assesses your reading and writing skills.
- ALEKS assesses your skills in math.
New or existing students may take their placement assessments remotely with no testing fee required.
If you have questions regarding whether or not you need to complete Accuplacer and/or ALEKS, please contact us at email@example.com.
Before You Begin
You will need:
- An LCCC student identification number. You are assigned a Student ID number when you complete the College Credit Plus application.
- A computer that meets the system requirements listed below (under Examity System Requirements).
- A valid ID that includes your name, signature, and a recognizable photograph. Examples of acceptable forms of ID include:
- A current driver’s license
- A state approved ID
- A college ID
- A current state or federal ID card
- A current military ID
- A current passport
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- If you do not have one of above forms of ID, please follow these instructions for creating an alternate form of identification.
Retesting will require a new voucher request form. Testing fees will apply to students who take Accuplacer or ALEKS math for other college or university.
Testing deadlines to enroll are the same as the Enrollment Process deadlines.
You must complete Accuplacer and ALEKS math in one sitting. There is no option to “Save and Finish Later.”
Accuplacer Assessment (Writing and Reading)
Remote Accuplacer is offered through Examity. Please review the system requirements and follow the instructions below.
Examity ® System Requirements
- A desktop computer or laptop (not a tablet, Chromebook or cell phone).
- A working, built-in or external webcam and microphone. Troubleshoot problems with your webcam or microphone at: Webcam Check.
- Internet speed of at least 2 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. Hot spots are not recommended. Determine your internet speed by running a test at Speed Test.
- Run an Examity Computer Requirements test at Computer Readiness Check.
Accuplacer Remote Testing Instructions
- Fill out the Accuplacer Virtual/ Remote Test Voucher Request form.
- Wait for an email response from Accuplacer with your 8-digit voucher number. Do not attempt to test without the voucher number.
- Register for online proctoring by selecting “Lorain County Community College – US” from the drop menu. In the event you need to reschedule or cancel your test, follow the instructions to do so on this account.
Note: Examity uses the term Voucher Number on their testing appointment notes, it is not the same as a Accuplacer Voucher Number.
- After receiving your 8-digit voucher number from Accuplacer, make your testing appointment through Examity. You should select the “Schedule Exam” page and the complete your profile (if necessary) then go back to schedule exam.
- Select Institution Name: “Lorain County Community College – US” -> Exam Name – Accuplacer.
- Choose your requested date and time from the calendar option. The time you are choosing is your local time zone (the time zone you selected when registering).
- Enter the Accuplacer voucher number that was issued to you via email.
- Continue with the final instructions given (including payment if taking for other college or universities).
You will receive a confirmation email with instructions for your online-proctored placement test. Please keep this email as it includes specific instructions to test on the date and time you have chosen.
Preparing for Writing Placement
If you are interested in enrolling in ENGL 161, you may need to complete the Accuplacer assessment and/or a writing sample to place into the course. Please use the following questions to determine if you should proceed with completing a writing sample, and if you need additional guidance, please consult with your academic advisor or reach out to Nadia Leary, manager, recruitment, MyUniversity, and College Credit Plus at firstname.lastname@example.org or 440-366-4722.
Do you have a 3.0 cumulative GPA and have you completed (or will you complete by spring 2020) 4 semesters of high school English?
- If yes, a writing sample is not needed. Please consult with your academic advisor to discuss placement.
Do you have a 3.0 cumulative GPA and less than 4 completed semesters of high school English?
- If yes, you will need to complete the writing sample (see instructions below).
Do you have less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA?
- If yes, then you will need to submit qualifying Accuplacer/ACT/SAT scores for both admission to CCP and for placement into ENGL 161. Depending on your test scores, you may also need to complete the writing sample. Please consult with your academic advisor to determine your next steps.
Writing Sample Instructions
Once your writing sample has been completed, please email your sample to email@example.com to be graded by an academic advisor. In order to receive test scores, students are encouraged to follow up with their assigned academic advisor. Students can locate their assigned advisor’s name in MyCampus (Click Student Services – Check the Right Column). To schedule a phone or virtual appointment with your advisor, go to https://www.lorainccc.edu/advising.
For additional assistance or questions regarding your scores, contact Robin Menz at firstname.lastname@example.org. Allow at least 48 hours for your writing sample assessment to be graded and the scores to be posted.
Math calculators are available on-screen when provided; otherwise, you may not use a calculator. View this guide for more information.
Make sure your computer meets the ALEKS system requirements.
The following code is needed during the ALEKS registration process:
CCP Student ALEKS math course code: GV9UH-XVG6F
ALEKS Placement Assessment Instructions
- Go to http://www.aleks.com and click on Sign Up Now.
- User name will be provided in the email, and a one-time password will be used (you will be asked to set a password).
- Enter the course code click on following link for course code. View ALEKS Instructions.
(Note: If you are on a public computer, please make sure your log out of your session.
- Please complete the survey and tutorial prior to testing as this will save you time while testing and help you become more familiar with the test.
- If you don’t remember your ALEKS password or login, visit http://www.aleks.com and choose “Forgot your login info?”
- Enter your personal or LCCC email, depending on the email you used when account was first created and then use the email from ALEKS to set a password at http://www.aleks.com.
Virtual/Remote Testing Contact Information
Please contact the Testing Center staff with any questions at email@example.com. Our staff will reach out to you as soon as possible. For additional testing information, please visit the Testing Center website.
ALEKS Math Student Support is available at (714) 619-7090 or at http://www.ALEKS.com.
Please contact your assigned academic advisor for additional guidance on selecting the placement testing option that best fits your unique situation. If you don’t have an assigned advisor, please contact Jason Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need accommodations due to a disability, please contact Accessibility Services, email@example.com for assistance in starting the process.