Starting college can be an intimidating and overwhelming experience. We hope this information will answer many of your questions. The more information you have, the more prepared you’ll be to succeed in your first semesters at LCCC. Remember, everyone has the opportunity to succeed at LCCC!


Start with the LCCC Catalog – The Ultimate Resource!
Your most important resource will be the college catalog. This is the most important reference tool you will have as a student.

LCCC Catalog


When do classes start and end?
In the front of the catalog, you will find the academic calendar that lists important dates and deadlines, such as when you may register for classes, when classes begin, withdrawal dates and when the campus is closed for holidays.

What is a credit hour and how many do I need?
Each course is assigned a credit hour value. Some courses, such as Physical Education courses, are one credit hour, while most others are two, three, four and five credit hours. To be a full-time student, you must carry 12 credit hours. This usually means taking four or five courses.  However, keep in mind that you do not need to be a full-time student in order to receive financial aid.

To graduate with an associate degree from LCCC, you need a minimum of 60 credit hours, with more credit hours required in some programs. It is important to know the course requirements for your individual program. They are outlined in your program’s curriculum guide.

View all LCCC Curriculum Guides


What’s the difference between a credit hour and a contact hour?
When you check the course descriptions in the LCCC Catalog, the credit hour value for each course is listed to the right of the course number. The contact hours for the course is listed in parentheses. Contact hours are the actual amount of time a student would be attending that class, including labs and clinical times. Where there is a discrepancy between credit hours and contact hours, it usually means that the course requires a laboratory, a clinical or field experience.


How long is a semester?
LCCC is on the semester system with three terms: a fall, spring and summer semester. The fall and spring semesters are 16 weeks long (15 weeks of instruction and one week of final examinations). There are also subterms including 5, 8 and 10 week sessions. In the summer, courses are more compressed having 8 week and 5 week sessions available.


I have questions about your courses.
All of our credit and continuing educations programs are accessible from our Academic Programs links, located on the LCCC home page and in our Current Students section.


I’m considering transferring to LCCC.  Where do I start?
For transfer information, visit our Transfer Center. Call 440-366-7638 for more information about our transfer programs.


How do I find out which LCCC courses will transfer to another school?
Click the Students tab at the top of this page.  The left-hand navigation includes a link to our Transfer Center. The Transfer Center page includes a link to the online Course Applicability System ( Call 440-366-7638 for more information.


How can I find scholarship information?
Visit our Financial Services department for information on scholarships and financial aid programs. For more information, call 800-995-5222 (extension 4034) or dial direct 440-366-4034.


How do I contact someone at LCCC?
Visit the Faculty/Staff page for personnel and department directories.  If you don’t know who to contact, e-mail


How do I verify the enrollment of a student at LCCC?
LCCC has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to act as our agent for all verifications of student enrollment.  Please visit the National Student Clearinghouse online at or contact them by phone at 703-742-4200.


I have suggestions for your Web site.
We encourage suggestions and comments that will make our Web site as user friendly as possible.  Please send your comments to


More Questions about the LCCC?
Email your questions to


Deciding What to Study

What Associate Degrees Can I Earn at LCCC?
At Lorain County Community College, there are many different types of degree programs to meet your unique needs. LCCC has transfer programs where you can earn an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science Degree. In these programs, you are taking the same coursework that freshman and sophomores in your major are taking at any other university. In a transfer program, you will complete a lot of your general education requirements. Within this degree, it is suggested that you complete the State Transfer Module, which is a group of courses guaranteed to transfer to any four-year, state school when you complete an Associate of Arts or Science Degree.

LCCC also offers applied programs where you earn associate degree, one-year certificate, or short-term certificate. Explore our Program and Career Pathways for a complete list of available degrees and certificates. The intent of these programs is to give you marketable skills, so that when you complete your program, you may enter the workforce with the necessary preparation for your job field. Examples of applied programs are: Nursing, Electronics, Business Management and Police Science. These programs are not initially designed for transfer, but there are some opportunities for transfer with many of these degrees. This is especially true with LCCC’s University Partnership Programs. Consult a Counselor or Advisor for more information. All LCCC students are assigned a Counselor based on their major. 

Another unique degree opportunity allows for students to have some input, with approval, into the design of their own program with the Associate of Individualized Studies


Why Do I Need to Participate in Placement Assessment?
The placement assessment is designed to improve your chances of success here at LCCC. When you start college, it is important to be placed in the right courses. If you are placed in a course that is too easy for you, you may get bored and lose interest. On the other hand, if you are placed in a course that is too difficult, you may become overwhelmed and lose confidence in your abilities. Therefore, placement assessment helps to place you in courses commensurate with your current abilities. Even if you have weaknesses in some areas, you can still achieve your goals if you correct these weaknesses through developmental classes, tutoring and careful course selection.

Most new students are required to take either the placement assessment before they enroll in English or Math, or register for more than six credit hours. Exceptions are made for those who have high ACT or SAT scores, or for those who have college degrees. LCCC is an “open-door institution,” and we have students come from varied educational backgrounds. If developmental work is indicated by the Accuplacer Assessment, it is mandatory to complete the developmental courses before moving on to regular courses.

Your placement assessment results will help make sure you sign up for the appropriate classes. If you need brush-up work, developmental education courses are available in Reading, English and Math, and are covered by financial aid. Although some courses are calculated into your Grade Point Average, they do not count towards your graduation requirements, nor do they transfer. Developmental courses will help you to correct any academic weaknesses you may have so you can build the foundation for success at LCCC.

Another way to make sure you’re taking an appropriate course is to check whether a prerequisite course is required for the course you are considering. The course descriptions in the LCCC Catalog list prerequisites in italics underneath each description. Prerequisites must be taken before enrolling in a later course unless the student has been assessed as having prior learning experience that allows acceleration to the next course.


Prepare for Success

What’s The Difference Between High School and College?
First and foremost, the level of course difficulty is very different between college and high school academic work. You may not spend as much time in the classroom as you did in high school, but you will find the work to be more demanding, with more homework, reading and independent work. College requires self-discipline and self-motivation. For every hour that you spend in the classroom, you should expect to spend two hours on outside work. For example, if you are taking 12 credit hours, you should plan to spend 12 hours per week in the classroom (contact hours) and have 24 hours of homework per week. In other words, being a full-time student is like having a full-time job.


How Can I Keep Track of How I’m Doing?
Your Grade Point Average (GPA) is very important. It is the calculation of all the grades you have earned in your courses at LCCC. In order to graduate from LCCC, you need to have an overall GPA of 2.0, or the equivalent of a “C” average. When your GPA falls below a 2.0, you may be subject to academic probation or academic dismissal. Hence, it is very important to achieve high grades. Some programs at LCCC, as well as those at some transfer institutions, may require a higher GPA than a 2.0. If you achieve a 3.5 GPA, you are eligible for academic honors such as the Dean’s List and graduation with honors.

Your GPA is calculated on a 4.0 scale. Each letter grade earned is given a point value. For example, a letter grade of an A is equal to 4.0 points, a B is equal to 3.0 points, etc. In this system, an F is worth 0 points. To calculate your GPA, you first must multiply the credit hours for a course by the point value of the grade. For example, a semester three credit hour course with an A grade, or 4.0 points, would give a total of 12 points. A student’s GPA is computed by dividing the total number of points by the number of semester hours attempted.

Some courses may be taken as a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory, or S/U option. These courses are not calculated in your Grade Point Average. In order to earn a Satisfactory grade, you must earn the equivalent of a C grade or better in the course. Some developmental courses are graded this way. Physical Education electives may be taken on an S/U basis by request in Enrollment Services.


Getting Help When You Need It

What should I do if I find myself in academic trouble?
Get tutoring at the Academic Support Center, which is in Room 204 in the College Center Building. You are allowed up to two hours per week of free tutoring. Try talking to your instructor as well. The instructor may be able to provide you with extra help and guidance in identifying problem areas. Consider talking with your counselor, too. He or she will be able to help you explore all the different options and alternatives available to you to resolve your difficulty.

If you find yourself having to miss classes near the end of the semester due to circumstances and conditions beyond your control, talk to your instructor about taking an “incomplete” grade, which will allow you extra time to finish the required coursework. This is accomplished through a contract between the student and the faculty member signifying a completion date.


Can I withdraw from my courses?
Yes. If you are attending a course and are unable to complete it, you must officially withdraw from the course at Enrollment Services. The deadline date for withdrawal is always listed in the academic calendar. If you stop attending without officially withdrawing, you will receive an F grade for the course. An F grade is calculated into your Grade Point Average, and can lower your overall GPA, while a W for withdraw is a non-punitive grade and is not calculated into your GPA. However, if you receive financial aid, Fs and Ws may affect your financial aid eligibility. Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements in order to receive financial aid. It is a good idea to talk with your instructor and/or counselor before withdrawing from a course.


Resources Are Available to Assist You

Where can I get help with career plans and knowing which courses to take?
Enrollment Services offers academic, career and personal counseling, as well as specific information on degree programs and transfer schools. If you are still deciding on a major/career or if you need help navigating your educational program, schedule an appointment with your advisor, which is located at LC 131 on the first floor of the Bass Library. Academic Advisors are available in Enrollment Services as well, providing advising and general information about programs and services for potential, new, and returning students. Exploratory students may also consider taking the SDEV 103, Career Exploration and Life Planning Course or participating in events and services provided by Career Services.


How can I pay for college?
The Financial Services Office can inform you about various types of financial aid that can assist you in paying for your schooling. These types of aid include grants, loans, work study and scholarships. View additional information about student aid programs. You can apply for financial aid by completing an online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


How do I get involved?
Student Life provides students with numerous opportunities to get involved on campus. There are a variety of clubs and activities. You can also get involved in student government through the Student Senate. LCCC also has Intercollegiate Sports Programs, a student newspaper called “The Collegian,” which provides opportunities for students who are interested in journalism or writing, and a student radio station called “Duck Radio.”


How do I find child care while I am attending classes?
The Children’s Learning Center, which is connected to the Physical Education Building, is a comprehensive environment which provides child care and enrichment programs for your children while you are attending classes. Programs/services are open to LCCC and UP students, LCCC employees, and community members. The professional teaching staff is well trained and all hold college degrees with specialization in early childhood education. The center is licensed by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services and meets or exceeds all requirements.


Let’s Get Started!

How do I register for courses?

Step-by-step registration instructions.


What’s the next step?
Register for your courses at Enrollment Services or online. At Enrollment Services, an Advisor can assist you with the enrollment process, including course selection. You will receive a copy of your personal class schedule that lists the times, dates, and room numbers for your courses. You will pay for your courses in the Financial Services Center on the first floor of the Bass Library.

Make sure you bring a copy of your personal class schedule with you the first day of class to verify your enrollment. The only thing left to do will be to get your books at LCCC’s Bookstore and obtain your Student Identification Card (ID) at the campus library.

If you have additional questions, please contact us or send an email to Ask Auntie Carol – LCCC’s E-Mail Academic Advisor