We welcome students from all colleges and universities looking to save money and get ahead. Often referred to as “transient” students, you can take classes at LCCC and they will transfer back to your home school. The steps you need to take are outlined below, or give our enrollment specialist a call.

Felicia Mitcheff


Complete the LCCC Application if you have never applied or have never completed an LCCC credit course. 
 Apply to LCCC 

  • Meet with your advisor or counselor at your college or university

Your advisor at your home institution will help you determine the proper courses to take at LCCC and provide you with a transient permission letter to ensure transferability for your degree requirements. We will also accept an official or unofficial transcript in place of the transient permission letter, however, submitting transcripts in place of a permission letter does not guarantee your home institution will accept transfer credit for your LCCC courses. 


Choose your classes, upload your documentation, and a member of our team will handle your registration within three business days. 
   Complete the Transient Student Registration Form


Complete the process to have your transcript sent to your college or university so they can evaluate and award you credit for the course. This process can be completed at any time after you register for your class.

To select transcripts in MyCampus, select “Grade Posting” as your processing option, then select the term your LCCC courses were taken to ensure your transcript is not sent before your final grade is posted.

 Learn more about sending transcripts to your college. 


Be familiar with how to determine how much you owe and the options for paying your tuition. These options are available in MyCampus.

Transient students typically do not qualify for Federal Student Aid, however you could be eligible for a Consortium Agreement.  A Consortium Agreement is an agreement between eligible institutions which enables you to receive financial aid while visiting another institution.  Please check with your home institution to see if you qualify.

 Learn more about paying your bill. 


Set up Accounts and Prepare for Classes

Explore additional resources to make sure your LCCC experience is a success. 

Set Up Your LCCC Accounts

MyCampus is the online tool for LCCC students to registration for classes, access grades and much more.
Learn more about MyCampus. 

All official LCCC communications will be sent to you using your LCCC student email account. As part of your MyCampus setup process, you will be asked to activate your LCCC email account.
Learn more about your email account. 

Canvas is the online Learning Management System used in most classes, especially online and blended classes.
Learn more about canvas. 

Handshake is your FREE resource to connect with employers and find job opportunities and internships.
Get Started with Handshake

Get Ready for Your LCCC Classes

A campus tour will help you become familiar with LCCC's campus. This is also a great opportunity to locate all of your classes before the first day of school.
Schedule a campus tour.

You will need a Student ID for many campus activities. Take a copy of your class schedule to the Circulation Desk on the second floor of the Bass Library. Your first Student ID is free.
Get your student ID card. 

Your textbooks and supplies can be purchased in Commodore Books & More in LCCC's College Center.
Learn more about the bookstore. 

Connect with Support Services

The Advocacy and Resource Center (ARC) can help you access food, counseling, financial, and other resources and support so you can spend less time worrying and more time focusing on your future.

If you have a disability and require assistance or accommodations, please contact Accessibility Services.

Learn more about accessibility services. 

Need help with challenges outside the classroom? Support services are available to help you deal with important issues and to provide greater opportunity for your academic success.

Learn more about support services. 


Need Help?

Please contact us with any questions: 

Felicia Mitcheff