Short-Term Technical Certificate
Curriculum Code 5063
The Addiction Counselor Short-Term Technical Certificate has been designed to meet the needs of those persons who wish to help prevent substance abuse, counsel individuals and families with drug and alcohol problems, and perform intervention and therapeutic services for persons suffering from addiction. The courses include instruction in individual and group counseling skills, psychology of addiction, sociology, substance abuse identification methodologies, substance abuse treatment modalities, substance abuse prevention and treatment resources, pharmacology and behavioral aspects of abused substances, treatment evaluation, group dynamics, professional standards and ethics, and application law and regulation. A specialized practicum experience in the field of substance abuse is part of this program. The courses in the program meet the education requirements of the state of Ohio for certification as a Chemical Dependency Counselor Assistant and may also be applied towards the Associate of Applied Science in Human Services degree. Lorain County Community College has articulation agreements with colleges and universities including programs offered by Lorain County Community College’s University Partnership.
For more information about this certificate, please contact Jennifer Kukis at 440-366-7419 or email@example.com.
|ENGL 161||College Composition||3|
|HMSR 111||Principles of Interviewing||3|
|HMSR 132||Addiction Counseling I *||3|
|PSYH 151||Introduction to Psychology||
|SDEV 101||College 101 ^||1|
|HMSR 213||Group Work >||3|
|HMSR 232||Addiction Counseling II >||
|HMSR 233||Addiction Counseling Practicum *#||
|SOCY 151||Introduction to Sociology||
Total Semester Credit Hours 26
- > Indicates that this course requires a prerequisite.
- * Indicates that this course requires a prerequisite or may be taken concurrently.
- All courses in this certificate requires a grade of “C” or better.
- # Student must successfully complete the interview and application process, criminal background check, and all prerequisites with a “C” or better. Student must have human services coordinator signature before registering for this course.
- ^ A student must register for the orientation course when enrolling for more than six credit hours per semester or any course that would result in an accumulation of 13 or more credit hours.
Established July 2013
Revised September 2015
Effective August 2015