Program Mission Statement
The Early Childhood Education program at Lorain County Community College is an accredited associate of applied science degree where students gain an in depth understanding of child development from birth to age five. Students prepare to provide a quality hands on learning experiences while creating a positive environment for children to grow socially, physically, intellectually and emotionally. The early childhood education program is committed to the philosophy that:
- Early childhood is a unique and valuable stage of development.
- Creating family partnerships is a conducive to a child succeeding.
- Children are understood in the context of family, culture and community.
- Teachers should respect the dignity, worth and uniqueness of all children.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of this program will:
- Observe a child-centered environment that focuses on intentional teaching and reflects on the whole child. (N.A.E.Y.C. 3)
- Recognize historical perspectives and implement developmental theories of education that impact a child’s development. (NAEYC 1)
- Design curriculum and assessments that are developmentally responsive to the diverse needs of children. (N.A.E.Y.C.1, 3, 4, 5)
- Engage with children, families, colleagues and the community ethically and professionally in learning environments and meaningful activities. (N.A.E.Y.C. 2.,6)