Archiving is a process which will move messages from the mail server on the network to a file on your PC. Here are a few details you should be aware of about archiving:
- Any item in Outlook may be archived, including e-mail messages, appointments, contacts, tasks, journal entries, notes, posted items, and documents. It’s especially important to pay attention to the Sent Items folder. This is important in the event you accidentally archive a contact or a task.
- The automated archiving process only allows you to archive by folder and date, so sorting your e-mail into subfolders is highly recommended on a day-to-day basis to make it easier to selectively archive items.
- You may manually archive specific messages by creating folders under Archived Folders in Outlook and dragging e-mails from your inbox to the new folders.
- Archived items will no longer be kept on the Exchange server. Therefore, they will be available to you only on the computer where they are archived. They will no longer be available on mymail.lorainccc.edu.
- Having these archived items stored on your computer also means that you will be responsible for backing up your archive file(s) if you feel it is important to keep them. Click here for instructions on how to back up your archived e-mail.
How to Archive an Existing Folder
To archive a specific folder along with its sub-folders:
- Click the folder that you want to archive.
- On the File menu, click Archive.
- Under Archive file:, select the LCCC standard email archive location.C:\Email Archives\Archive.pst for most users
\My Documents\Email Archives\Archive.pst for users with roaming profiles.
- Select to Archive this folder and all subfolders.
- In the Archive items older than list, choose a datefrom the date picker.
- To include items you previously selected not to archive, select the Include items with “Do not AutoArchive” checked check box.
Note: To see if items have the Do not AutoArchive this item check box selected, open the item. On the File menu, click Properties. On the Generaltab, verify that the Do not AutoArchive this item check box is selected.
- Click OK to archive the folder you have selected.
- The items in the folder will be moved out of the folder and into the .PST file that you specified. To view the folder items again, scroll down in the folder list to Archive Folders. The folder structure will be a replica of the folder structure in your Mailbox.
This archiving process can be repeated for any other folders you wish to archive, and can be repeated as often as is necessary.
To create archive folders and manually move messages to them
- Right-click on the Archive Folders name in the left-hand navigation of your Outlook box.
- Select New Folder
- Enter the name for your new folder
- The new folder will appear under your Archive Folders section.
- E-mails may be dragged and dropped from your Outlook inbox and sent mail into the new archive folders.