Advanced placement for Paramedics is available through the Paramedic to RN program. A paramedic who qualifies* (see the Enrollment, Financial and Career Services division for program application requirements) must have completed pre-admission courses with a grade of C or better.
The Paramedic must complete NURS 130 with a grade of C or better in order to gain advanced placement. At the completion of NURS 130, the student will receive credit for ALHN 112, NURS 100, NURS 121, & NURS 123 for a total of 11 credits.
|Must be completed before a program application can be submitted|
|BIOG 121||Anatomy and Physiology I >**||4|
|ENGL 161||College Composition I ***||3|
|MTHM 168||Statistics >**||3|
|PSYH 151||Introduction to Psychology **||3|
|SDEV 101||College 101 ^||1|
|LCCC First Semester Nursing Courses|
|BIOG 122||Anatomy & Physiology II >**||4|
|PSYH 251||Human Growth & Development >**||3|
|CHMY 161||General, Organic and Biochemistry I >**||4|
|NURS 130||Advanced Placement Certified Paramedic to RN >**||3|
|LCCC Second Semester Nursing Courses|
|NURS 116||Maternal-Newborn Nursing >**||2|
|NURS 119||Concepts in Pediatric Nursing>**||1|
|NURS 132||Concepts in Nursing for the Paramedic to RN>**||4|
|NURS 133||Pharmacology for the Paramedic to RN>**||1|
|NURS 224||Behavioral Health Nursing>**||3|
|LCCC Third Semester Nursing Courses|
|BIOG 251||General Microbiology >**||4|
|NURS 222||Nursing Concepts IV >**||4|
|NURS 225||Manager of Care/Capstone >**||4|
|NURS 226||Nursing Concepts Synthesis >**||1|
*Admission to Paramedic to RN program.
>Indicates that this course requires a prerequisite.
**Indicates that a grade of “C” (2.0) or better must be earned in order to continue in the sequence.
Advanced Placement Paramedic to Registered Nurse Information
- According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the annual salary of a Registered Nurse is almost 50% higher than that of a paramedic. (https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm#31-0000).
- At Lorain Community College, a pathway has been developed to allow certified paramedics advanced placement in the Associate Degree Nursing (RN) program. Through this program, the certified paramedic will receive credit for prior coursework, thereby eliminating excessive course repetition. Upon graduation, the paramedic to RN student will be eligible to sit for the state of Ohio licensure examination for Registered Nursing.
- Program details include: 3 semesters in length, lectures/labs 1 day/week, clinicals 1 day/week, simulation experiences, some course content offered online.
- Estimated cost of program tuition: $8866 (without fees or books)
- High School graduate or GED
- Graduate of a paramedic program with 2 years of recent work experience as a paramedic
- Active national certification in the United States or U.S. territories without restrictions or conditions.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher on all completed college-level coursework (includes transfer/transient courses).
- Completion of prerequisite courses (BIOG 121, ENGL 161, PSYH 151 and MTHM 168) with a grade of C or better.
- An Academic Preparedness Level of Proficient must be achieved on the ATI TEAS exam. ATI TEAS information
- Official high school & college transcripts on file in the LCCC Records Office
- Program application must be on file by January 5 to be selected for entry consideration. A new application must be submitted if the candidate is not admitted to the program; but wishes to be considered for admission to a future class.
Once accepted into the nursing program, students are eligible to register for NURS 130 ADVANCED PLACEMENT CERTIFIED PARAMEDIC TO RN. Upon successful completion with a grade of C or better, students will be given prior learning credit for the following classes: (**NURS 130 may not be repeated if failed**):
- NURS 100: Fundamentals of Nursing
- NURS 123: Pharmacology I
- ALHN 112: Introduction to Medical Terminology
- NURS 121: Nursing Concepts I
For further information, please contact Dr. Karen Joris at email@example.com.