Answers for International Students


What is a Community College?

Community Colleges offer several kinds of programs of interest to international students such as: University transfer programs, Technical programs, Job training programs, Basic skills programs, and Special interest programs.

International students are probably most interested in the first type of program on this list. Community colleges generally offer the first two years of a normal four-year bachelor’s degree program. Thus, students who attend a community college can prepare themselves to transfer to a four-year institution by completing the lower division courses in the community college instead of the university.

However, Lorain County Community College is proud to also be able to offer a bachelor’s degree in MEMs.


What are the advantages for international students coming to the United States?

  • Easy, open admission policies
  • Wide selection of academic and technical programs
  • Basic skill courses including ESL
  • Supportive learning environment with small classes
  • Low cost tuition
  • Credits fully transferable to other colleges and universities


Which application do I use, the LCCC International Application or the LCCC Regular Application?

Only students desiring to attend school under an F1 or J1 Student visa type need to fill out the LCCC International Application. Students who are permanent residents or have other visa types fill out the LCCC Regular Application. If you have any questions about your unique case or visa type, please contact MaryBeth Yates by phone, fax, or email.


Who do I contact for information about learning English?

LCCC has an English as a Second Language program. You may contact:

Sharon Van Houte (speaks Spanish)

MaryBeth Yates

Shaun Marsh (speaks Korean)


If I am attending as an F-1 student, can I study English first?

You may study English (ESL courses) for a maximum of three (3) semesters or eighteen months with an F-1 visa. You may also be required to take ESL classes (prior to or concurrent with your regular classes) based on your placement testing scores.


What do I need to do to obtain an F-1 visa?

Start the application procedure and make sure to follow the checklist. If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact MaryBeth Yates by phone, fax, or email.


Can I continue my education after I earn an associate degree?

Yes, with the University Partnership program and our University Transfer Pathways, you may earn a bachelor’s degree and in some cases a master’s degree in selected programs. You will also be eligible to transfer to any four-year university that you wish (and are accepted to). Please talk with the Program Coordinator for more information.


How much does it cost to attend LCCC?

Students who are studying at LCCC with an F-1 visa will pay Out-of-State tuition fees. Please see our tuition and costs page for more information.

Students who are studying at LCCC with a J1 visa will be charged according to the tuition agreement between your home university and Lorain County Community College. Please contact our office for more details.


Estimated Expenses:




TUITION (12 or more credit hours)*:


HOUSING (Includes utilities, internet/TV, and transportation)**:

$3,348.00 (two-bedroom, private room)

$2,318.00 (two -bedroom, shared room)



HEALTH INSURANCE (varies based on company)***:

ISO (1 year) ~$400.00
TokioMarine (5 months) ~460.00

BOOKS AND SUPPLIES (varies based on course of study):





$8,577.48 – $9,667.48 +


*All Rates are subject to change.
**All students will be given a private room in a two-bedroom apartment unless international enrollment requires that rooms be shared. Any students who are opposed to shared rooms should let MaryBeth Yates know when they apply, and LCCC will try to ensure they are allowed to remain in a private room.
***While LCCC does not refer students to one insurance company over another, information is available upon request.


Does Lorain County Community College provide housing?

As a community college, LCCC does not have residence halls. We do offer a small number of sublet apartments (for international students only – no dependents or non-international roommates). Please see above for pricing.

All students living in sublet apartments will be assigned at least one roommate. We do try to work to find the best match possible for our students.

We can also assist students in locating other apartment complexes that are willing to rent to international students if you are bringing a family or want to room with other friends.

If you have other unique needs, please contact the International office and we will be happy to discuss your options and find something suitable for your specific needs.


Can I get a Job while I attend school at LCCC?

F1 and J1 visa students are limited to on-campus employment opportunities; they may not work off-campus. Students are limited to 20 hours per week.

Students who wish to work on-campus must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours per semester that they wish to work. This means that if you wish to work over the summer, you must be taking at least 6 credit hours. If you wish to travel in the summer, but retain your job, you will need to ensure that you are designated as a part-time employee and not a student worker.

Students must make their own applications for on-campus employment and may earn $3,000 to $4000 USD annually, depending on the rate of pay and number of hours worked.

Some students may be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), or Optional Practical Training (OPT). Both of these are work-based programs tied to a student’s major area of study.

LCCC’s Career Services office can assist students with on-campus (student and part-time), and off-campus employment opportunities.

LCCC does not provide scholarships or financial assistance for international students.

After I have submitted my application, how soon might I learn of my admission and receive the I-20 (F1 students) or DS-2019 (J1 students)?
The International Initiatives office immediately reviews all applications. If any other information is required, you will be contacted by the email address on your application. Please be sure that your information is as complete and up-to-date as possible. However, to allow for full processing and creation of the I-20 or DS-2019, and sending it by overseas courier service to you, processing may take one to three weeks.

Please submit your current mailing address and a daytime telephone number to ensure speedy delivery of your admission packet.


How will I get around?

Public transportation is limited in Lorain County. Many students find it convenient to apply for an Ohio Driver’s License, and in some cases, purchase used vehicles.

If you live in one of the LCCC sublet apartments, there will be transportation provided Monday – Friday from the apartments to Campus and from Campus back to the apartments. That bus normally runs once or twice a day. Schedules are sent to all residents before the start of each semester.