Persons holding immigrant status such as permanent resident, refugee, or asylum, may apply for admission for any enrollment term. Please use the LCCC Domestic Application.
A non-immigrant student is one who is a citizen of a country other than the United States, who is authorized to remain in the United States for a temporary period as an F-1, J-1, or H-4 Visa Student and who intends to return to his or her home country. LCCC is authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Citizenship Enforcement Services, to issue the required Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 student status (Form I-20) as well as J-1, Exchange Visitor visa (Form DS-2019). New students will be considered for January, June, and August semesters. F-1 & J1 Visa students must maintain full time (12 or more credits) status at all times and remain in good academic standing.
Admission Information in Other Languages
International Student Application Checklist
Use the following list to help you prepare your application.
- The application form must be filled in completely. You must include the complete street address of your residence in your home country (a post office box is not acceptable), home country telephone number, e-mail address as well as a contact number of any local relative or sponsor in the U.S.
- Include your educational history in the correct section. Be sure to include the name, location and dates of attendance of your secondary, or high school, and any post-secondary, university-level, or English language training.
- The application must be signed and dated by the student applicant.
2) School Records
- You should submit official, certified school records not photocopies. In most cases, you must submit documents issued by the school, the ministry of education, the government or official office responsible for issuing school records. In the event that you cannot provide an original document, then a certified, true copy may be submitted. If the documents are issued in English, you can submit these; otherwise, you also must provide an official English translation.
- You must prove successful secondary school completion (such as school grade report, diploma, graduation document or secondary exam certificate results). Secondary school completion typically means at least 12 years of education. Submit your final year grade report and exam results.
- Include post-secondary, university-level or English language study information, educational records and/or grade reports.
3) Proof of Financial Eligibility.
Students must have adequate funds to cover all expenses for the first full year of study at LCCC and must be able to demonstrate such to the American Consular officer who will consider your visa application.
- Approximately $US18, 300.00 is required for each year of study. No financial aid, grants, or loans are available from LCCC. Students should not expect nor require employment income.
- The International Student Financial Form (included in the LCCC International Student Application Form) must be completed and submitted along with an original bank letter from the sponsor’s bank or Financial institution which includes the location of the bank, sponsor’s account information converted into U.S. dollars, and which is signed by a bank official. Financial documentation must be less than six months old.
- If the sponsor is an American citizen or Permanent Resident, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services form I-134 should be completed and notarized.
Once the completed application has been received, The Office of International Student Services will send you the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility or the DS-2019 which allows you to apply for your F-1 or J-1 visa. The I-20 or DS-2019 Form will be sent to you by courier service.
4) Passport and Visa information
Submit a photocopy of the passport signature page, showing the validity dates and expiration date for your passport.
If the applicant is currently in the U.S.
- Submit photocopies of the visa documents, the visa stamp inside the passport, and a copy of your I-94 document,
- Submit school information, a photocopy of your Form I-20, and a grade or attendance report if you are attending another institution.
5) English Language Ability
If English IS NOT your first language, you will be required to submit the results of an English language proficiency examination such as: TOEFLibt; IELTS, EIKEN, or ITEP.
- Students who have earned a minimum score of 173 on the computer-based TOEFL test (or 500 on the paper-pencil test, 61 IBT, 2A on EIKEN) may be considered for regular admission and must sit for the Compass Placement Examination upon arrival at LCCC and prior to enrollment.
- Students who have earned at least 133-170 on the computer based TOEFL test (or 450 on the paper-pencil test, 46 IBT, less than 2A on EIKEN) may be considered for English as a Second Language study prior to, or concurrently with a limited number of credit courses.
- Minimum IELTS score is 5
- Minimum ITEP score is 3
- Minimum EIKEN score is 2
- Submit a brief, personally written essay describing your previous English experiences or about your academic goals in the U.S.
We ask that you download, print, and complete the forms; then scan them and return them by E-mail to: email@example.com. They may also be faxed to: 001-440-366-4213.
Frequently Asked Questions for International Students
What is a Community College?
Community colleges offer several kinds of programs of interest to international students:
- University transfer programs
- Technical programs
- Job training programs
- Basic skills programs
- Special interests programs
International students are probably most interested in the first type of program on this list. Community colleges offer the first two years of a normal four-year bachelor’s degree program. Thus, students who attend a community college can prepare themselves to transfer to a four-year institution by completing the lower division courses in the community college instead of in the university.
What are the advantages for international students coming to the United States?
- Easy, open admission policies
- Wide selection of academic and technical programs
- Basic skill courses including ESL
- Supportive learning environment with small classes
- Low cost tuition
- Credits fully transferable to other colleges and universities
Which application do I use, the LCCC International Application or the LCCC Regular Application?
Only students desiring to attend school under an F-1 or J-1 Visa type need to fill out the LCCC International Application. Students who are permanent residents or have other visa types fill out the LCCC Regular Application.
Who do I contact for information about learning English?
LCCC has an English as a Second Language program you may contact:
- Cheryl Miltner
- Sharon Van Houte (she speaks Spanish)
- Dr. Annouska Remmert
If I am attending as an F-1 student can I study English first?
You may study English (English as a Second Language courses) for a maximum of three semesters or eighteen months with an F-1 Visa.
What do I need to do to obtain an F-1 Visa?
Start the application procedure and make sure to follow the checklist above.
Can I continue my education after I earn an Associate’s degree?
Yes, now with the University Partnership program you may earn a Bachelor’s degree and in some cases a Master’s degree in selected programs.
How much does it cost to attend LCCC?
Students who are studying at LCCC with an F-1 Visa will pay Out-of-State tuition fees.
Does Lorain County Community College provide housing?
The Office of International Student Services offers furnished apartments for a minimum of 1 year. Learn about other housing options. To reserve such lodging, students must notify the International Office 6 weeks before the semester begins.
After I have submitted my application, how soon might I learn of my admission and receive the I-20 or DS-2019?
The Office of International Student Services immediately processes all applications, creates the I-20 or DS-2019, and sends it by overseas courier service to you. Please submit your building address and a daytime telephone number for express mail delivery.