How do I apply for Financial Aid?

  • Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at BE SURE TO USE THE .gov website and not .com or .net or .org. Those sites will charge a fee and they aren’t the approved federal site.
  • A new FAFSA must be submitted every year.
  • The LCCC Federal School code is 003068.

How do I make a payment?

  • You can make a credit card payment at any time online or sign up for a payment plan in MyCampus. View the Financials, Payment with Credit Card Page for directions.
  • In person, you can pay with cash, check, or credit card at the Financial Services counter during regular business hours.

What is the difference between grants and loans?

  • In general, loans must be paid back, whereas grants do not
  • View the Financial Aid Page for a better understanding of the differences between grants, loans, work-study, and scholarships. Those who are interested in work-study must submit a Student Employment Application. Be aware that you do not have to attend full-time in order to receive aid.

How can I get a student loan?

  • You will not automatically receive a loan. You must apply for one.
  • Go to the How to Apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan Page for instructions. It’s a 3-step process!  You must complete all 3 steps!
  • To receive a student loan, you must be enrolled for at least 6 credits hours at the time of disbursement.

Who is considered an independent student?

Students may be considered independent if they meet at least 1 of the following criteria:

  • If the student is 24-years-old or older.
  • Is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces.
  • Is married.
  • Is a ward of the court, or was a ward of the court until the age of 18, or if the student meets 1 of the criteria listed at
  • If the student has a legal dependent for whom they provide more than half of his/her support

Contact the Financial Services Office if you believe that you have special circumstances that should be considered for determining your dependent/independent status.

What can I use my financial aid money for?

  • Financial aid funds can be used for educational expenses only.
  • You can purchase 1 electronic item (computer, iPad, etc.) in the Bookstore during your academic career at LCCC.

Do I have to be full-time in order to receive financial aid?

  • In general, a person with an EFC of 0 could receive Pell funds for 1 credit.
  • Financial aid is pro-rated based on the amount of credits you’re registered for. 12 credits = full-time; 9 to 11 credits = ¾-time; 6 to 8 credits = half-time; and 5 or fewer credits = less than half-time.
  • However, students must be enrolled for at least 6 credits in order to receive a student loan.

Is there a limit to the amount of financial aid I can receive?

  • The amount of aid you receive per award year is determined by your EFC (Expected Family Contribution).
  • The amount of aid you can receive for your lifetime has federally-determined limits. For additional information, please see the Calculating Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used page. Also, log into the National Student Loan Data System for details about your limit, account, and financial aid history.
  • The length of time students will have access to subsidized loans is limited for new borrowers. Students cannot borrow more than 150% of a student’s program length. For example, students who enroll in a two-year degree program can only borrow loans for three years total. For more information, please visit

Can I use financial aid in the summer?

  • It depends. If you use financial aid in the summer, it may affect the amount you receive in the spring.
  • Each student’s situation varies, so consult with a Financial Services staff member if you have specific questions.

What are Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirements?

  • Students who receive financial aid are subject to SAP requirements, which are determined by the federal government.
  • The basic requirements include the successful completion of classes (completion rate) within a pre-determined time period (time frame).
  • You must meet SAP requirements in order to remain eligible to receive financial aid.
  • View the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Requirement Page for additional information.

Will my financial aid be affected if I withdraw from or fail a course?

  • Your financial aid is based on your enrollment status as of the “census date” of the term. The census date is always the 14th day after the start of the term calendar. If you withdraw from a class on/before that date, the hours you withdraw will not be counted towards your financial aid package.
  • Be aware that if you intend to receive a student loan, you must be enrolled for at least 6 credits hours when the funds are requested from the federal processor. If you are not enrolled for at least 6 credit hours on that date, you will not be eligible to receive loan funding for that term and will be responsible for all charges incurred.
  • If you withdraw from all classes during a term, federal regulations require your financial aid package to be recalculated based on the length of time you completed the semester. This recalculation may mean that you will owe money to LCCC. Please consult with the Financial Services staff to determine the impact that withdrawing will have on your financial aid.
  • If you are currently on an academic plan, failing or withdrawing from courses may result in losing your financial aid.

If I have a SAP hold, what do I need to do to schedule classes?

Have you checked your MyCampus account?

1. Yes? Do you see a Negative Service Indicator(negative service indicator) symbol?

  • If yes, click on that symbol and follow the instructions.
  • If it says “Academic Plan,” you must meet with your Academic Advisor to create a plan.
  • If you already have an academic plan, you can take it directly to Enrollment Services to schedule.

2. No? Please check it and follow the instructions in your To-Do List.

How do I file an appeal?

  • Complete and submit the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form. File your appeal as quickly as possible – processing time is at least 2 weeks.
  • Once you have filed the form, watch your MyCampus and LCCC email accounts for further instructions.

When is the last day to register for courses if I want my Pell funds to pay for it?

  • The last day to use Pell funds is always the 14th day of the term calendar, which is called the census date (although you can use student loan funds after the census date).

How does the Financial Services Office contact me?

How do I know how much my refund is and when will I receive it?

  • Once your attendance has been confirmed in all of your classes, the refund process will begin. Typically, if all of your classes begin on the first day of the term, you can expect your refund to be processed during the 6th week of the term. If you have any classes that begin after the first day of the term, please allow 4 weeks from the start date.
  • To determine whether you are eligible for a refund, view your account activity (under Finances) in MyCampus and look for your “Financial Aid Refund” amount.
  • If you have a late-starting class, aid is applied after attendance is verified.

How do I apply for scholarships?

How do I get my books?

Ideally, you can go directly to the bookstore! Here’s how to tell:

  1. Go to your MyCampus account.
  2. Click on Student Services.
  3. Look on the right-hand side under the “Hold” column.
  4. Look for “Bookstore Eligibility” with a dollar amount. You can charge books up to that amount in the bookstore.

If you don’t have a bookstore eligibility amount showing in your MyCampus account, please see the Financial Services Center (in person – this cannot be done over the phone!).

What is a 1098T form and how do I find it?

  • A 1098T form is a required IRS form to report qualified educational expenses, which include courses for which you receive academic credit.
  • You can obtain your 1098T form online through MyCampus. View the 1098T FAQ Page for instructions.
  • NOTE: Some students may not receive a 1098T.

I was selected for verification. What does that mean?

  • If you were selected for verification, you must fill out a Federal Student Aid Verification Worksheet and return it to Financial Services. You may also need to provide a federal tax transcript, available free of charge from the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

What if I have questions about my account?

  • If you have any questions, call the general Financial Services line at 440-366-4034 or view the Financial Services Staff Page to contact a specific staff member.

What do I need to do if I am a dually enrolled or transfer student?