If you wish to apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan for the 2017-18 academic year, please review this information carefully and follow the steps outlined in this section.
We request that students complete this form only once each academic year so please make sure to indicate all semesters you intended to receive a Federal Direct Stafford Loan.
Federal Stafford Loans
The maximum amount that you may borrow [combined amount of subsidized and unsubsidized] is based on your grade level, the amount of your other financial aid, your enrollment status, and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) results. You may be eligible up to the maximum for your grade level for each term of eligibility:
- First Year: $1,750 + $1,000 unsubsidized – maximum $2,750 per term
- Second Year: $2,250 + $1,000 unsubsidized – maximum $3,250 per term
- Independent undergraduates may be eligible for an additional Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
***The formula for your maximum loan amount is your Cost of Attendance minus your Expected Family Contribution (EFC from FAFSA) minus any other aid will equal your need. Please be aware that if you receive any other scholarships or awards, it may reduce your loan eligibility.
You must have your attendance verified in at least 6 credit hours before your loan will be credited to your student account. You must also be meeting all federal loan eligibility requirements.
Loan Disbursement Regulations
Student loans will be disbursed in two payments during fall and spring semesters and one disbursement for summer semester. The payments for fall and spring will be based on commencement of attendance and the midterm grades. For full term classes, the disbursements will occur about the fifth and tenth week of fall and spring semesters. At the first disbursement, students must commence attendance and be currently enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours. To receive the second loan disbursement, students must be currently enrolled and actively pursuing course completion in a minimum of 6 credit hours. For summer semester, students must be currently enrolled and actively pursuing course completion in a minimum of 6 credit hours.
****Final grades of W or U, or a midterm/final grade of FAW will not be counted towards the total hours for the minimum 6 credit hour disbursement requirement.****
Electronic Funds Transfer
Federal Stafford Loans will be transmitted to Lorain County Community College electronically and credited to your tuition account. This process expedites the delivery of loan funds and eliminates the need for you to endorse a check. You have the right to cancel your Federal Stafford Loan at any time during the current enrollment period by notifying the Financial Services Center. Funds will not be credited to your student account until you meet all eligibility requirements.
Information is believed to be correct at the time of publishing, but is subject to change.
LCCC Loan Application Steps
- Review your MyCampus for correct name, address, email, etc. LCCC will process your loan and communicate with you about this loan using your LCCC email address and home address information on file. Please confirm in your MyCampus that all bio/demographic data is-up-to date and correct. Incorrect information could delay the processing or receipt of your loan request.
- Complete the Federal Stafford Loan Request Form below. Completing this form will initiate the loan process for you at LCCC. Once your request for a loan has been received by LCCC, you will see an award amount on your MyCampus account. Processing of your loan cannot continue until you complete the required steps below.
- Complete Entrance Counseling. You must go to https://www.studentloans.gov/ and complete your Entrance Counseling.
- Complete a Master Promissory Note with the U.S. Department of Education. You must go to https://www.studentloans.gov/ and complete your Master Promissory Note. This will provide your consent to borrow a loan.
Note: * Indicates that a response is required