If you have not previously received a Direct Loan or Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL), the Federal Government requires you to complete Entrance Loan Counseling to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming.
If you are completing entrance counseling to borrow a loan as an undergraduate student, then the entrance counseling will fulfill counseling requirements for Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans.
To complete Entrance Counseling you will need:
- Your FSA ID
- Any details on your income, financial aid, and living expenses
- Approximately 20-30 minutes to complete. Entrance Counseling must be completed in a single session
There are two ways to access Entrance Counseling:
- Log in to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action using your FSA ID
- Select “Complete Counseling” on the left-hand navigation bar
- Select “Entrance Counseling” under “Choose Counseling Type”
If you log in, you will be able to:
- See your federal student loan information available in the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
- Notify schools of counseling completion
- View proof of counseling completion
- Select “Getting Loans” from the top navigation bar on the StudentLoans.gov home page and then “Counseling Demo.” Select “Entrance Counseling” under “Choose Counseling Type.”
- You must log in to officially complete the counseling session (option 1 above)
- The “Counseling Demo” option is informational and allows school administrators to see counseling content without logging in
To Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) you will need:
Approximately 30 minutes to complete.
- The MPN must be completed in a single session.
- Your FSA ID
- Permanent Address
- Mailing Address (if different from permanent address)
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- Employer Name
- Employer Address
Reference Information for two people with different U.S. addresses who have known you for at least 3 years. The first reference should be a parent or a legal guardian.
- Name of each reference
- Address of each reference
- Email address for each reference
- Telephone number of each reference
- Relationship of each reference to the student
**If you have previously completed either a Direct Loan MPN or a Direct PLUS Loan Request, some of this information may be populated for you. You should review all populated information carefully for accuracy