Ways to identify suspicious letters or packages:
- Packages with excessive postage, using postage stamps as opposed to a meter
- Packages containing oily stains, crystallization on wrapper or strange odors
- No return address
- Exceptionally large or lopsided packages
- Packages that are rigid, bulky or discolored
- Packages that appear to contain liquid
- Packages which display evidence or electrical wire or tin foil
- Excessive wrapping materials, such as masking tape, strapping tape, or string
Actions to take if you encounter suspicious mail:
- Do not smell, touch or move the package.
- If you did, immediately wash your hands with soap and water.
- Notify your manager to advise workers to stay away from the work area.
- Call Campus Services at x4053.
- Turn off any circulation fans, air conditioners or heaters (if applicable).
- List all persons who have come in contact with the suspicious package.