Procedure for Dealing with a Tornado or Severe Weather
- Stay indoors, be alert to falling objects.
- Proceed to a tunnel or basement area if possible.
- If tunnels are not available, proceed to a first floor interior room. Stand clear of exterior walls. Seek refuge under a table or desk and cover yourself with a coat or other such material.
- If you are outside, lie flat on the ground in a depression and cover the back of your head and neck with your hands.
- Do not seek cover in an automobile or under a tree.
- Stay away from windows, mirrors, glass, and unsecured objects such as filing cabinets or bookcases.
- Do not use elevators.
- If requested, assist persons with disabilities to the safest area on the same floor.
- Remain in the safe area until at least 10 minutes have elapsed or until the “all clear” has been given.
Planning includes identifying the appropriate place in your building to seek shelter should a tornado occur.