Bachelor of Arts English Studies (3 + 1 )
A Bachelor of Arts with a major in English studies prepares students to be critical and creative readers, thinkers, and writers. The major will develop students’ ability to acquire, analyze, evaluate and communicate knowledge in multiple mediums. Students develop these powers of argument and analysis by working with diverse texts and examining the impact of gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, nationality, class and ability on the production and reception of texts. Graduates will possess the analytical and communication skills that are critical to long-term professional success in many career fields and to contribute to their communities as responsible, informed citizens. The BA in English studies will reflect the rich and varied nature of the discipline, allowing students to draw on courses in literature, creative writing, professional writing and rhetoric, cultural studies, and linguistics.
Parallel LCCC Program
- Transfer students can apply at any time, but it is recommended that you apply within one to two semesters prior to your intended start date. Please work with your LCCC advisor to ensure you are meeting any transfer requirements, including Ohio Transfer 36 requirements and LCCC graduation requirements.
- If you are a graduating high school senior who has earned CCP credits, you will apply to Miami University Regionals as a new student (non-transfer). These students should apply via our Online Admission Application and pay the $35 application fee. If the application fee would cause hardship, please send a fee waiver request to MURegionalsAdmission@MiamiOH.edu.
- Miami University accepts post-secondary college credit from regionally accredited institutions. Only coursework that is transcribed on an institution’s official transcript issued by the institution’s registrar’s office or similar authorizing designee and sent directly from the institution providing the transcript to Miami University will be eligible for transfer credit consideration. For questions about Miami University transfer credit policies, please visit our online bulletin.
- Transfer students applying to Miami University Regionals are required to have at least a 2.0 GPA and be in “good standing” at their prior colleges or universities.
- A high school transcript is required for admission if the transfer student has not earned 20 college credit hours or more from their previous institutions.
- ACT and SAT scores are not required for transfer student admission.
- Students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA, or have been out of college at least two years, in order to be considered for admission. If you do not meet these qualifications, please contact the Office of Admission to petition for special admission consideration by emailing MURegionalsAdmission@MiamiOH.edu.
To apply to the Partnership, follow the steps below:
- Review the Transfer Application checklist
- Complete an online regional transfer application
- Pay the $35 non-refundable application fee. Application fee waivers are provided during our campus visit opportunities. Attend one of our virtual campus events and attendees are given a fee waiver code to use at the time of application. If not available, all Pell eligible students can apply for the NACAC Transfer Application fee waiver.
- Request all colleges and universities to send an official transcript directly to Miami University.
- Once your materials are in, check your email for an admission decision.
- You will then schedule an advising appointment with your assigned Miami University academic advisor.
- Once admitted, make sure to complete all of the steps in the Miami New Student Checklist, including the SOAR Student Orientation, which students complete via the Miami Canvas module.
If you have questions about the admissions process, please reach out to Miami Regionals Office of Admission 513-785-3111 or by email email@example.com.
How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?
- You are following the UP Curriculum Pathway from the associate to the bachelor’s degree.
- For 2:2 degrees, you have been admitted to the partner institution and have registered for your first classes the upcoming semester, 3rd year of partner classes. The first day of the 3rd year class, you are officially a UP student.
- For 3:1 degrees, you are a UP student if you are registered for the 3rd year in either bridgework LCCC classes or UP partner classes. You may not be necessarily admitted with the UP partner just yet. The first day of the 3rd year of UP or LCCC bridgework class, you are officially a UP student.
- UP Office will use the email address your partner institution shares with us, which is once a semester, to email out a reminder to you about the UP program supports and services.
- If you are unsure if you are in the UP, you are welcome to email or call the UP Office to verify your status.
- (440) 366-4949
How do I show proof I am a UP student to receive benefits and supports offered at LCCC
- Go to the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the LCCC Bass Library (440) 366-4026.
- Show your class registration for UP classes with the partner institution or LCCC bridgework classes.
- Bass Library staff will place a color coded sticker on the back of your LCCC or partner institution ID card. If you have no LCCC or UP ID card, a UP ID card will be issued to you.
- You will need to get a new sticker (date specific) each semester that you are registered for UP partner classes.
- An ID card is not required but would be needed if you are seeking benefits and supports at LCCC while in the partnership.
- Supports and services are for Elyria Campus and the Learning Centers (Community Learning Center at Lorain High School, Lorain Learning Center at City Center, LCCC Wellington Center, and University Partnership Ridge Campus).
For More Information
For specific questions about academics related to the English Studies program, please reach out to:
Dr. Marianne Cotugno
Associate Professor, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Writing
Tuition and Fee Schedule
For current academic year tuition and fees, visit Miami Regionals OneStop website.