Youngstown State University Logo

Bachelor of Science Applied Science Public Health (2 + 2)

The Public Health major offers the Bachelor of Science in Applied Science (B.S.A.S.) degree.  The public health program integrates classroom and experiential learning in many of its courses. Public health graduates are employed in public health agencies, non-profit organizations, hospitals and other health and care settings, and governmental agencies.

There are five standard areas in public health training that enable students to perform the essentials services of public health. These are epidemiology, biostatistics, health services administration, environmental health and behavioral science/health education. The curriculum for the YSU bachelor’s degree in public health addresses each of the five core areas through multiple courses. This curriculum enables mastery at the bachelor’s level of the nationally recognized Public Health Core Competencies, and requires an internship tailored to the area of public health interests of each student. This contemporary major also includes two 3 semester hour courses in bioterrorism, mass causality and crisis management in public health. Most of the professional courses for the degree can be completed through a combination of interactive videoconferencing and online distance learning options.

The B.S.A.S. in public health can also prepare the student to become a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES). CHES assess individual and community health needs; plan and implement effective health education and health promotion programs; coordinate and manage the provision of health education and promotion services; effectively communicate health and health education needs, concerns and resources; and conduct program evaluation.

Parallel LCCC Program

Associate of Arts

Curriculum Pathway – Public Health

Curriculum Pathway – Public Health Environmental Track

Admission Requirements

  1. The admission application can be submitted as early as when a student starts their last term/semester at Lorain.  For example, if you plan to apply to start at YSU for fall semester then please apply no earlier than the beginning of the spring semester prior to that fall start.
  2. Credit from any regionally accredited college or university will be accepted and applied to either general education, major coursework, or elective credits.
  3. Credits from a non-regionally accredited institution may be accepted on a case-by-case basis and must be reviewed through the same process as those from a regionally accredited institution.  All credits considered must be a minimum of 1 credit and cannot be developmental.  Additional information can be found online here.
  4. Be in good standing at the previously attended school with a minimum 2.0 gpa.  Student who have been recently dismissed, suspended, or expelled must sit out one semester prior to being considered at YSU, excluding summer.
  5. Student must have a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average from all colleges and universities attended.  Any student who has below a overall gpa of 2.0 may be considered for conditional admission, but that is determined on a case by case basis and a personal statement may be required to be submitted.
  6. High school diploma would be required unless the associate degree is earned prior to a student’s start at YSU.

Application Procedures

  1. Review the application deadlines
  2. Complete an online application.
    • Note:  When selecting your degree, make sure  the campus linked to the degree is LCCC/or Lorain.
  3. Submit the $45 nonrefundable application fee.  If you are Pell eligible and need assistance with the application fee, apply for the NACAC Transfer Application Fee Waiver.
  4. Request all colleges and universities that you have attended to send official transcripts directly to YSU.
  5. Once your materials are in, check your email for an admission decision.
  6. Schedule an advising appointment with your assigned YSU advisor to get registered for classes. 
  7. Admitted transfer students are “highly encouraged” to complete the Transfer Student Orientation.  Students can either sign up for the online Transfer Student Orientation through logging into the Penguin Portal.  Once a student logs into the Penguin Portal then they will see the Orientation heading that they can click to either sign up for the “in person” version or the completely online version.


How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?  

How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?

  • You are following the UP Curriculum Pathway from the associate to the bachelor’s degree.
    • For 2:2 degrees, you have been admitted to the partner institution and have registered for your first classes the upcoming semester, 3rd year of partner classes.  The first day of the 3rd year class, you are officially a UP student.
    • For 3:1 degrees, you are a UP student if you are registered for the 3rd year in either bridgework LCCC classes or UP partner classes. You may not be necessarily admitted with the UP partner just yet.  The first day of the 3rd year of UP or LCCC bridgework class, you are officially a UP student.
  • UP Office will use the email address your partner institution shares with us, which is once a semester, to email out a reminder to you about the UP program supports and services.
  • If you are unsure if you are in the UP, you are welcome to email or call the UP Office to verify your status.

How do I show proof I am a UP student to receive benefits and supports offered at LCCC

  • Go to the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the LCCC Bass Library  (440) 366-4026.
  • Show your class registration for UP classes with the partner institution or LCCC bridgework classes.
  • Bass Library staff will place a color coded sticker on the back of your LCCC or partner institution ID card.  If you have no LCCC or UP ID card, a UP ID card will be issued to you.
  • You will need to get a new sticker (date specific) each semester that you are registered for UP partner classes.
  • An ID card is not required but would be needed if you are seeking benefits and supports at LCCC while in the partnership.
  • Supports and services are for Elyria Campus and the Learning Centers (Community Learning  Center at Lorain High School, Lorain Learning Center at City Center, LCCC Wellington Center, and University Partnership Ridge Campus).


For More Information

Brian Wells, Senior Academic Advisor
(440) 366-4852
Advising appointment link

Health and Human Services 
(330) 941-1820

Dr. Nicolette Powe, faculty advisor
(330) 941-1895