Sport Science and Wellness Education is one of six the Schools in the College of Health Professions. Our mission is to help improve the quality of life and health of individuals, families and communities. Specifically, our department focuses on the development of sport, exercise, health and wellness programs that promote physical activity and maintenance of a healthy lifestyle.
The mission of the School of Sport Science and Wellness Education is to prepare students to become professionals in teaching and related fields of sport science and wellness based upon current professional standards and ethics. We educate our students to serve people of all ages, ethnicities, cultural backgrounds, and health conditions. The department shall apply its knowledge bases, through various technologies, to both research and service activities within the University setting and to community constituencies.
The sport studies program prepares students for a variety of careers in this field. Students are prepared to pursue careers in recreational, scholastic, collegiate, and professional sports. Students in this partnership program are completing the sport studies program with a concentration in sport management.
Parallel Associate Degree Programs
Students wishing to enroll in the Sport Studies partnership should have completed (or be near completion) an Associate of Applied Science in Sports and Fitness Management. Students must have earned a minimum a 2.5 overall GPA, a minimum 2.5 GPA in Sport and Exercise Science, and earn of a grade of “C” or better in all required courses.
Enrollment Eligibility for Non-LCCC Graduates
Students will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by an advisor from The University of Akron, Sport Studies program.
To apply to the Partnership with Akron, follow the steps below:
- Complete an online University of Akron undergraduate application
- Apply as a Transfer Student and select the partnership major that begins with “Lorain CCC“.
- Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee. If you are Pell eligible and need assistance with the fee, please apply for the NACAC Transfer Application fee waiver.
- Request all colleges and universities to send an official transcript directly to the University of Akron Admissions.
- Once your materials are in, check your email for an admission decision.
- You will then schedule an advising appointment with your assigned Akron academic advisor.
Advising Contact Information