Youngstown State University Logo

Bachelor of Science in Applied Science Allied Health (3 + 1)

The baccalaureate degree program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Applied Science (BSAS) with a major in Allied Health is intended to serve professional health-related associate-degree graduates who wish to upgrade their academic credentials. The BSAS degree program aims to provide advanced educational opportunities beyond the technical scope of the graduate’s associate degree. The program offers students additional knowledge, skills, attitudes and values to enhance their career mobility in the healthcare setting. In addition, the degree program allows students to pursue further education at the graduate level. The program is based on a two-plus-two concept where the associate-degree courses provide technical education for the first two years of the baccalaureate-degree program. Following graduation with an associate’s degree, the student articulates directly into the plus-two component of the program. The plus-two part consists of a core of multi-disciplinary courses, a student-selected minor, and general University requirements.

Youngstown State University Website – Allied Health

Parallel LCCC Programs

Program Curriculum (2023-2024 pathway forthcoming)

Health Field AAS Degrees to BSAS in Allied Health Curriculum Pathway

Admission Requirements

  1. The admission application can be submitted as early as when a student starts their last term/semester at Lorain. For example, if you plan to apply to begin at YSU for the fall semester, please apply no earlier than the beginning of the spring semester before that fall start.
  2. Credit from any regionally accredited college or university will be accepted and applied to either general education, major coursework, or elective credits.
  3. Credits from a non-regionally accredited institution may be accepted case-by-case and must be reviewed through the same process as those from a regionally accredited institution. All credits considered must be a minimum of 1 credit and cannot be developmental. Read the Proprietary/Non-Regionally Accredited Transfer Credit Policy
  4. Be in good standing at the previously attended school with a minimum 2.0 GPA. Students recently dismissed, suspended, or expelled must sit out one semester before being considered at YSU, excluding summer.
  5. Student must have a minimum 2.00 cumulative grade point average from all colleges and universities attended. Any student below an overall GPA of 2.0 may be considered for conditional admission, but that is determined on a case-by-case basis, and a personal statement may be required to be submitted.
  6. A high school diploma would be required unless the associate degree is earned before a student starts at YSU.

Application Procedure 

  1. Review the application deadlines.
  2. Complete an online application.
    • Note:  When selecting your degree, ensure the campus linked to the degree is LCCC/or Lorain.
  3. Submit the $45 nonrefundable application fee. If you are Pell-eligible and need assistance with the application fee, apply for the NACAC Transfer Application Fee Waiver.. The downloadable form is within the link.
  4. Request all colleges and universities you have attended to send official transcripts directly to YSU.
  5. Once your materials are in, check your email for an admission decision.
  6. Schedule an advising appointment with your assigned YSU advisor to get registered for classes.
  7. Admitted transfer students are “highly encouraged” to complete the Transfer Student Orientation. Students can sign up for the online Transfer Student Orientation by logging into the Penguin Portal. Once a student logs into the Penguin Portal, they will see the Orientation heading that they can click to either sign up for the “in-person” or the complete online version.

Submit all college-level transcripts to:
Youngstown State University
Attn:  Office of Admissions
One University Plaza
Youngstown, OH 44555

How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?

  • You are following the UP Curriculum Pathway from the associate to the bachelor’s degree.
  • For 2:2 degrees, you have been admitted to the partner institution and have registered for your first classes the upcoming semester, 3rd year of partner classes.  The first day of the 3rd year class, you are officially a UP student.
  • For 3:1 degrees, you are a UP student if you are registered for the 3rd year in either bridgework LCCC classes or UP partner classes. You may not be necessarily admitted with the UP partner just yet.  The first day of the 3rd year of UP or LCCC bridgework class, you are officially a UP student.
  • UP Office will use the email address your partner institution shares with us, which is once a semester, to email out a reminder to you about the UP program supports and services.
  • If you are unsure if you are in the UP, you are welcome to email or call the UP Office to verify your status.

How do I show proof I am a UP student to receive benefits and supports offered at LCCC

  • Go to the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the LCCC Bass Library  (440) 366-4026.
  • Show your class registration for UP classes with the partner institution or LCCC bridgework classes.
  • Bass Library staff will place a color coded sticker on the back of your LCCC or partner institution ID card.  If you have no LCCC or UP ID card, a UP ID card will be issued to you.
  • You will need to get a new sticker (date specific) each semester that you are registered for UP partner classes.
  • An ID card is not required but would be needed if you are seeking benefits and supports at LCCC while in the partnership.
  • Supports and services are for Elyria Campus and the Learning Centers (Community Learning  Center at Lorain High School, Lorain Learning Center at City Center, LCCC Wellington Center, and University Partnership Ridge Campus).

For More Information

Prospective Students
Health and Human Services 
(330) 941-1820

If you would like an unofficial evaluation of transfer credit, email your unofficial transcripts from all institutions to HHS Distance.  Learn how to obtain your unofficial transcript using MyCampus.   If you want the UP office to pull your unofficial LCCC transcript for you, complete and return the FERPA release form.

Current Students
Dr. Silvia Stefan, faculty advisor
(330) 941-3327

See the Youngstown State University Academic Calendar for important academic dates and deadlines.