Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science (3 + 1) [online]
The School of Sport Science and Wellness Education is housed within the College of Health Professions. The exercise science program prepares students for various careers in health and fitness instruction, wellness, personal training, strength and conditioning, and cardiac rehabilitation.
Parallel LCCC Program
Students wishing to enroll in the Exercise Science partnership should have completed the LCCC Associate of Applied Science in Sports and Fitness Management. Students must have earned a minimum of 2.5 overall GPA, a minimum 2.5 GPA in Exercise Science, and earn a grade of “C” or better in all required courses.
Before applying to the UA program, the following courses must be taken at LCCC. (If you have 1 or 2 classes left to take, contact the Akron Advisor for permission to apply now)
- HPED 165 Introduction to Exercise Science
- HPED 274 Kinesiology
- HPED 173 Biomechanics/Resistance Training
- HLED 153 First Aid & Safety
- HPED 152 Application of Activities Across a Lifespan
- HPED 265 Prevent/Care of Sports Injuries
- HPED 272 Exercise Physiology II
- PEWL 151 186, 188 or 189, PEFT 151 Stress Management, Yoga, Meditation, Tai Chi, or Lifetime Fitness
- HPED 278 Cert. Prep Course
- HPED 162 Fundamentals Sports Fitness Man
- HPED 222 Fund. of Strength and Conditioning
- AHLN110 Medical Terminology
- HLED 221 Health Promotion and Behavior Change
- HPED 261 Exercise Physiology I
- HPED 166 Group Exercise Instructor
- HLED 181 Nutrition & Weight Management
- HPED 172 Exercise for Special Populations
- HPED 285 Practicum & Seminar
- HPED 277 Measure & Evaluation
- Application can be initiated during the semester in which 60 semester hours will be earned
- Students should have completed or have in progress their required Bridgework courses based on the major they are selecting
- Be in good standing at the previously attended school with a 2.5 GPA
- Students interested in the UA Williams Honors College should review the transfer student consideration for admission information.
To apply to the Partnership with Akron, follow the steps below:
- Complete an online University of Akron undergraduate application
- Apply as a Transfer Student and select the partnership major that begins with “Lorain CCC.”
- Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee. If you are Pell-eligible and need assistance with the fee, please apply for the NACAC Transfer Application Fee Waiver. The downloadable form is within the link.
- Request all colleges and universities to send an official transcript directly to the University of Akron Admissions.
- Once your materials are in, check your email for an admission decision.
- You will schedule an advising appointment with your assigned Akron academic advisor.
- Not required. However, the Transfer New Student Orientation is available for resources and support services.
Submit all college-level transcripts to:
The University of Akron
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
277 E. Buchtel Ave
Akron, OH 44325
Registration and Scheduling Information
- Registration in University of Akron courses is limited to those accepted into the partnership programs. You will work with your assigned adviser to complete registration in the course offerings each semester using your My Akron
- Some courses may only be offered once per year. Please work with your UA adviser to determine the class selection
- We would encourage you to work with an LCCC Adviser to receive assistance in the registration of any LCCC courses you continue to take in the program, i.e., General Education Courses
- Students taking courses through UA and LCCC must complete an AdHoc Consortium agreement and a transient permission form. Your adviser will assist you in this process each semester
- All fees are subject to change. Please contact our Office of Student Financial Aid or Student Accounts at Akron if you have additional questions.
For More Information
In-Person Advising at LCCC
Prospective Students Advisor
For Admitted Students
See the University of Akron Academic Calendar for important academic dates and deadlines.