University of Cincinnati Logo

Bachelor of  Science in Fire Science (2 + 2)

The Fire Science online degree adds a high degree of flexibility and convenience to your professional development while maintaining the level of quality and effectiveness consistent with a traditional approach.

Fire Science & Emergency Management credit courses are taken in a distance-learning format using Canvas. Written assignments and projects provide a continual indication of progress and form the basis of an ongoing relationship between professor and student. Telephone consultations and/or virtual meetings are used to supplement the learning process.  For more details on courses, see the Fire Science Curriculum Map.

Courses outside the Fire Science and Emergency Management requirements and electives required for the bachelor’s degree should be taken either at LCCC or by continuing the open learning method through various distance-learning options. All courses must be pre-approved by appropriate department heads.  

The University of Cincinnati’s Fire Science is offered in conjunction with the National Fire Academy’s degree program must have:

  • An Associate Degree in Fire Science (or the equivalent)
  • Transfer students must be in good standing according to standards of the colleges from which they wish to transfer
  • Must have a minimum 2.0 grade point average
  • Transfer students must complete a minimum of 40 credit hours at UC

We recommend that you contact a UC advisor (contact details are below) to complete an unofficial review of your credits. Let the advisor know you are a potential University Partnership student.  The next step would be to review the UC Transfer frequently asked questions link to learn more about applying and deadlines.


Parallel LCCC Program

Associate of Applied Science Fire Science

AAS Curriculum Pathway – Fire & Safety Engineering Technology

Admission Requirements

  • Application can be initiated during the semester in which 60 semester hours will be earned.  Students can apply prior to completion of their associate degree.
  • ​Must be an accredited college or university and applied to either gen ed, major coursework, and or elective credits.  Also accepts relevant certifications and courses for advanced standing.  The advanced standing list can be found here (click link).
  • Be in good standing at the previously attended school
  • A high school transcript is required and final transcript from college/ university attended
  • ACT/SAT scores are not required.
  • 2.0 minimum, but students with less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average may still be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis and admitted on a warning or probationary status.

Application Procedures

To apply to the Partnership, follow the steps below:

  1. Complete an online application.  Select “transfer application”.  Contact Raena Hoskins with advanced standing documents.
  2. Pay the $50 non-refundable application fee (or fee waiver).  If you are Pell eligible and need assistance with the application fee, apply for the NACAC Transfer application fee waiver.  Form is downloadable on the link.
  3. Request that all colleges or universities that you have attended send official transcripts directly to UC.
  4. Once your materials are in, check your email often for a decision.
  5. Once admitted, meet with your UC advisor to schedule classes.
  6. It is recommended that you review UC’s New Welcome Student Transfer and Transition Advising page designed to help connect you to all the resources and technology you need to succeed at UC.  Welcomes also cover ways to get involved, network with other students, and gain leadership experience. Check out this special video from UC just for transfer students.
How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?  

How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?

  • You are following the UP Curriculum Pathway from the associate to the bachelor’s degree.
    • For 2:2 degrees, you have been admitted to the partner institution and have registered for your first classes the upcoming semester, 3rd year of partner classes.  The first day of the 3rd year class, you are officially a UP student.
    • For 3:1 degrees, you are a UP student if you are registered for the 3rd year in either bridgework LCCC classes or UP partner classes. You may not be necessarily admitted with the UP partner just yet.  The first day of the 3rd year of UP or LCCC bridgework class, you are officially a UP student.
  • UP Office will use the email address your partner institution shares with us, which is once a semester, to email out a reminder to you about the UP program supports and services.
  • If you are unsure if you are in the UP, you are welcome to email or call the UP Office to verify your status.

How do I show proof I am a UP student to receive benefits and supports offered at LCCC

  • Go to the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the LCCC Bass Library  (440) 366-4026.
  • Show your class registration for UP classes with the partner institution or LCCC bridgework classes.
  • Bass Library staff will place a color coded sticker on the back of your LCCC or partner institution ID card.  If you have no LCCC or UP ID card, a UP ID card will be issued to you.
  • You will need to get a new sticker (date specific) each semester that you are registered for UP partner classes.
  • An ID card is not required but would be needed if you are seeking benefits and supports at LCCC while in the partnership.
  • Supports and services are for Elyria Campus and the Learning Centers (Community Learning  Center at Lorain High School, Lorain Learning Center at City Center, LCCC Wellington Center, and University Partnership Ridge Campus).


Contact Information

Raena Hoskins, Fire Science & Emergency Management
(513) 556-6583

Lawrence T. Bennett, Esq., Program Chair Fire Science & Emergency Management
(513) 470-2744