Coursework in Foreign Languages

The world is full of languages.  How far do you have to go from your front door to know that this is true?  Think about how many people and places you could really get to know, newspapers and books you could read, movies and TV programs you could understand.  Websites you could visit with another language!

Did you know that studying a second language can improve your skills and grades in Math and English and can improve entrance exam scores – SATs, ATS, GREs, MCATs, and LSATs?  Research has shown that math and verbal SAT scores climb higher with each additional year of world language study, which means that the longer you study a world language, the stronger your skills become to succeed in school.  Studying a world language can improve your analytic and interpretive capacities.  Three years of language study on your record will catch the eye of anyone reading your job or college application.  You can learn intercultural competence and cultural awareness in exciting new ways, using technology and focusing on communication.

Courses will be offered for the following languages (if resources are available)

  • Portuguese
  • Russian
  • Quechua
  • Somali
  • Spanish
  • French
  • German
  • Romanian
  • Swahili

Ohio State University – Coursework in Foreign Languages


Jobs and Salary


Course Delivery Methods

Online Courses

  • Students meet online either individually or in groups and follow a full semester classroom- track syllabus.

Individualized Language Instruction Online

  • Individualized programs offer self-paced, mastery-based language learning courses designed to mirror the content of courses offered in the classroom. The learning is of a highly independent nature. It features one-on-one instruction, flexible scheduling and student autonomy. Each course is the equivalent in content and in credit hours to the classroom track course at the same level. All students must perform at the 80% level or better to continue in the program. Variable credit is awarded by The Ohio State University (OSU) for these courses based on the successful completion of modules. One module of completion is equivalent to one credit. Credit earned from completion of these courses can be applied toward an undergraduate degree at either OSU or another four year institution.


Application Procedures

Students wishing to complete World Languages courses can be admitted as Transient/Visiting Students from the main Ohio State undergrad website.

  1. Select the link called Undergraduate Admissions application 
  2. Select “Additional Types of Applicants” 
  3. Select “Undergraduate  Study”
  4. Under the heading “Students from Other Universities” click the link called “Apply to Extended Education”  
  5. Apply well before the start of the semester or session that you wish to attend.  It may take up to three weeks for your application to be processed.

Submit all college-level transcripts to:
The Ohio State University
Undergraduate Admissions
PO Box 182646
Columbus, OH 43218

Tuition and Fee Schedule

Information concerning tuition and fees can be obtained through from the OSU registrar website.


How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?  

How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?

  • You are following the UP Curriculum Pathway from the associate to the bachelor’s degree.
    • For 2:2 degrees, you have been admitted to the partner institution and have registered for your first classes the upcoming semester, 3rd year of partner classes.  The first day of the 3rd year class, you are officially a UP student.
    • For 3:1 degrees, you are a UP student if you are registered for the 3rd year in either bridgework LCCC classes or UP partner classes. You may not be necessarily admitted with the UP partner just yet.  The first day of the 3rd year of UP or LCCC bridgework class, you are officially a UP student.
  • UP Office will use the email address your partner institution shares with us, which is once a semester, to email out a reminder to you about the UP program supports and services.
  • If you are unsure if you are in the UP, you are welcome to email or call the UP Office to verify your status.

How do I show proof I am a UP student to receive benefits and supports offered at LCCC

  • Go to the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the LCCC Bass Library  (440) 366-4026.
  • Show your class registration for UP classes with the partner institution or LCCC bridgework classes.
  • Bass Library staff will place a color coded sticker on the back of your LCCC or partner institution ID card.  If you have no LCCC or UP ID card, a UP ID card will be issued to you.
  • You will need to get a new sticker (date specific) each semester that you are registered for UP partner classes.
  • An ID card is not required but would be needed if you are seeking benefits and supports at LCCC while in the partnership.
  • Supports and services are for Elyria Campus and the Learning Centers (Community Learning  Center at Lorain High School, Lorain Learning Center at City Center, LCCC Wellington Center, and University Partnership Ridge Campus).


For More Information

For more information about scheduling and availability of courses for these languages, please contact:

Rebecca Bias
Assistant Director, Center for Languages, Literature, and Cultures
100 Hagerty Hall, 1775 College Road
Columbus, OH  43210
Get your OSU transcript.

See The Ohio State University Academic Calendar for important academic dates and deadlines.