Youngstown State University Logo

Bachelor of Social Work graduates, who have obtained their degree in the last six years, may be eligible to complete their MSW in 39 semester hours. Applicants must meet the admissions requirements described below. 

The 60-semester-hour CSWE-accredited MSW program includes theoretical and applied courses in social work and internship engagements under the supervision of professional social workers in regional social service agencies.  The program emphasizes advanced social work practice with individuals and families, the client strengths perspective, and social services leadership.

Courses for both formats are available at the Lorain County  Community College University Center on Saturdays and online to accommodate employed students.

Youngstown State University Website – Master of Social Work

Master of Social Work Curriculum Pathway


Admission Requirements (60 hours)

  • An undergraduate degree, preferably in a social science from an accredited college or university
  • A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above in all undergraduate coursework
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Professional Statement


Advanced Standing Admission Requirements (39 hours)

  • Possess a Bachelor of Social Work degree from a CSWE-accredited program within six years before enrollment;
  • Have achieved a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all undergraduate coursework;
  • Have achieved A’s and B’s in the following courses or equivalent: Human Behavior and the Social Environment 1&2, Social Work Methods with Individuals, Families, Groups, Organizations and Communities, Research Methods, Field Work and associated integrated courses.


Application Procedures

  1. Complete an online graduate application.
    • When selecting your degree, make sure  the degree linked to the campus is LCCC/or Lorain
  2. Submit the application fee.
  3. Request all colleges and universities you have attended to send official transcripts directly to YSU.
  4. In certain master’s programs, test results must be submitted as part of the admission procedure. Check with YSU Graduate Admissions.
  5. Once your materials are in, check your email for an admission decision.
  6. Schedule an advising appointment with your assigned YSU graduate advisor.

Submit transcripts to:
Youngstown State University
Attn:  Office of Admissions
One University Plaza
Youngstown, OH 44555

How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?  

How do I know if I am in the University Partnership?

  • You are following the UP Curriculum Pathway from the associate to the bachelor’s degree.
    • For 2:2 degrees, you have been admitted to the partner institution and have registered for your first classes the upcoming semester, 3rd year of partner classes.  The first day of the 3rd year class, you are officially a UP student.
    • For 3:1 degrees, you are a UP student if you are registered for the 3rd year in either bridgework LCCC classes or UP partner classes. You may not be necessarily admitted with the UP partner just yet.  The first day of the 3rd year of UP or LCCC bridgework class, you are officially a UP student.
  • UP Office will use the email address your partner institution shares with us, which is once a semester, to email out a reminder to you about the UP program supports and services.
  • If you are unsure if you are in the UP, you are welcome to email or call the UP Office to verify your status.

How do I show proof I am a UP student to receive benefits and supports offered at LCCC

  • Go to the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the LCCC Bass Library  (440) 366-4026.
  • Show your class registration for UP classes with the partner institution or LCCC bridgework classes.
  • Bass Library staff will place a color coded sticker on the back of your LCCC or partner institution ID card.  If you have no LCCC or UP ID card, a UP ID card will be issued to you.
  • You will need to get a new sticker (date specific) each semester that you are registered for UP partner classes.
  • An ID card is not required but would be needed if you are seeking benefits and supports at LCCC while in the partnership.
  • Supports and services are for Elyria Campus and the Learning Centers (Community Learning  Center at Lorain High School, Lorain Learning Center at City Center, LCCC Wellington Center, and University Partnership Ridge Campus).


For More Information 

Meghan Bileci
Master of Social Work Partnership Program Coordinator, Lecturer, Field Coordinator

See the Youngstown State University Academic Calendar for important academic dates and deadlines.